cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a master process to run login agent, then work a process, then logout

ChrisCutting
Level 4
As part of a reporting build I'm trying to make it easier for us to run reports with a single main process. The basic concept is that the main process should > Login to the target PC* using Login Agent (calling this as a sub-process) > Wait 2 mins for the login to complete and the PC to become available again in the control room > Run the reports that we want (calling these as sub-processes) > Logout from the target PC using the Login Agent   When testing I have found that this does not work using a single PC as the target machine. The login agent starts but as the PC logs in it becomes temporarily unavailable to the control room, stopping the process. Is there a way to do this on a single PC, or alternatively using a Master PC to run the top level process and target another PC to actually be logged in etc. At the moment the Login Agent we use does not have any Input parameters to tell it which PC to run on, can this be added? * In our setup the PC's are Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machines.
2 REPLIES 2

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
The reason it won't work is because the resource PC that executes the Login process will close down shortly after logging into Windows. Realistically the 'system space' resource PC can only be used to run the Login process, and to run any other process you need to start a second 'user space' resource PC after logging into Windows. Currently there isn't a good way of bridging this gap, other than hardcoding a delay between scheduled tasks and like you, I would like our development team to address this problem. The master PC idea is worth a try and it's something I've been meaning to investigate. In theory PC1 could use the command line to tell PC2 to run the Logout process, wait, then tell it to run Login, wait again and then tell it to run process ABC.

ChrisCutting
Level 4
Thanks John, back to Scheduler it is then 🙂