cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using RPA with your IVR

AnthonyStarita
Level 3
Hi all,

I'm wanting to inquire with the community as to whether anybody has had successful implementation of solutions linking your company's IVR to Blue Prism Robots to provide real time information back to customers?

We've had a proposal to build robots to provide basic account information to customers, and make updates to account details, through IVR/Webchat and Chatbot channels however my concern is the potential latency to provide responses through robots, utilizing UI, understanding that there are no web services available.

I'm also concerned at the number of robots that may be required 'waiting in the wings' to meet the expected business SLA response times, which would be seconds rather than minutes.

Nothing beats practical experience and real implementations in action though so keen to hear any thoughts and real world examples.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
Anthony Starita
Business Analyst
Pacific/Auckland
2 REPLIES 2

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Hi Anthony you've got the two most important feasibility factors - application response time and workload capacity.

Applications can't be magically turbo charged, and all we can hope for that a digital worker will be faster and more efficient than a human. But if it takes 10 seconds for an application to find a customer, then using a DW is unlikely to improve improve that time. Maybe the DW will execute the search faster than a human, but the search will still take 10 seconds. In reality I'd have thought that unless you have an application with a highly responsive front end, then UI integration may not be fast enough for IVR/chat requirements, and probably only a 'headless' integration (eg API or DB query) will have the necessary speed. But let's see what examples the community has to share.

To some extent you might be able to design a solution that does not follow the basic 'call and response' pattern, where the user sends a command and waits for confirmation that the work is complete. Perhaps instead of responding to the user with 'your account has now been closed' the digital worker could say 'your request has been received and your account will be closed shortly'. Such an approach will depend on business requirements but it may be necessary to rethink the user-robot flow, possibly even engaging more than one robot per user, in order to achieve the best solution.

Obviously you'll need a digital workforce that can maintain SLA during the peak period, which begs the questions of how many workers are enough and what does that workforce do during quiet periods, sit waiting or do something more productive? Perhaps the 'economy of scale' means that any idle time is offset by the benefits brought when the DWs are productive. It's something to weigh up as part of a project feasibility study.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

Hi John - thanks for your response and input.  It validates our thinking and suggests we should explore further with feasibility.  I think this may wind up with, as you suggested, builds that give the customer a timeframe with the response happening post call via another channel such as email or SMS however whether that would be enough to prevent the customer wanting to talk to a human agent is another question!

Anthony Starita
Business Analyst
Pacific/Auckland