cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Machine as runtime resource

LukasMaier1
Level 3
Dear all,

Currently I'm running some BP processes on my virtual machine using a remote desktop session. Now I want to switch to unattended automation. Therefore, I tried to add my virtual machine as runtime resource and drag and drop the process to the resource. The latter doesnt work. May someone help me out with this?

------------------------------
Lukas Maier
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

This document, "Remote Access for Controlling and Monitoring," page 4, lists the recommended tool to access Runtime Resources.
When you send a process to an unattended resource, this one is locked, to unlock you need to have the login agent install and add credentials in the credential manager to allow login and then start the process. (use VNC is the easy way and is free).

Or you can set your Windows to autologin, but it is something to have to do manually and is not recommended for a production environment.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/324737/how-to-turn-on-automatic-logon-in-windows

Luis Lopez
Customer Support Engineer English and Spanish
Blue Prism Ltd

View answer in original post

7 REPLIES 7

expertcr
Staff
Staff
Thank you for contacting us. To better understand your situation, you need to share the error that you get when trying to drag a process to that Runtime Resource.

Luis Lopez
Blue Prism Ltd

​Hi Luis,

Thanks for the quick response. I now managed to get the process on the runtime resource. However, as soon as I start the process in the session management and close the remote session to the virtual machine the process fails. Do you have any ideas hot to fix this?
I read that blueprism isnt compatible with remote desktop session. How to use blueprism on a virtual machine then?

Lukas Maier
RPA Developer
Vienna

This document, "Remote Access for Controlling and Monitoring," page 4, lists the recommended tool to access Runtime Resources.
When you send a process to an unattended resource, this one is locked, to unlock you need to have the login agent install and add credentials in the credential manager to allow login and then start the process. (use VNC is the easy way and is free).

Or you can set your Windows to autologin, but it is something to have to do manually and is not recommended for a production environment.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/324737/how-to-turn-on-automatic-logon-in-windows

Luis Lopez
Blue Prism Ltd

james.man
Staff
Staff
I think another point that should be clarified, is whether the VM is powered on and available without you having to remotely connect to it, and that closing the remote connection isn't causing the VM to either shutdown or power-off

James Man
Professional Services
Blue Prism
Asia/Hong_Kong

Hi Luis and James,

Thank you for your response. I was finally able to setup the vm as runtime ressource and start the app server. Now I can see the vm from my local machine and also trigger processes either manually or through a schedule.

What doesnt work so far are "interactive" processes. What do I mean by that? I can send emails per smtp request but I cannot run processes the open programmes and perform different kinds of actions on it. (remote dektop is always closed when I trigger the process).

This is a little confusing because how can I run the email process if the vm is supposed to be closed (as per James' description). The only answer I think is that the smtp server request does not require the vm to be unlocked while "interactive" processes do require an unlocking. The conclusion from that might be the login agent (as decribed in the documents from Luis) will help me out. However, this is somehow difficult (risk and security issues with local it department).

Therefore my questions: Is my understanding correct or do I get something wrong here? I need to be 100% sure before I raise an exception to change group policies regarding the requirements of the login agent.

Thanks in advance for your help!

BR Lukas

Lukas Maier

The Login agent is used to "log in" to windows.  If you aren't sure whether you are logged in yet, you can try to install a console-based remote connection tool to see (but not interact) with the windows screen of the runtime resource(listed on page 4 of the document linked by Luis).  There are some free options in that list.  If you've confirmed that the runtime resource is in fact, not logged in to windows, then you can install the login agent and go from there.

James Man
Professional Services
Blue Prism
Asia/Hong_Kong

Thank you James. I will clarify the login state with my local it.

Lukas Maier