cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EslamGhandour
Level 4

Currently, we can change the logging for all stages in a process by choosing one of the three options, disabled, enabled or errors only. 

It would be great if we can have one more option which is changing all log according to best practices and recommendations. This option can be disabling what needs to be disabled, setting errors only for what needs to be that way and leaving all decision and choice stages enabled. 
Simply an option that  can be used before releasing to production as usually a lot of things enabled while developing which makes the currently available 3 options important but they still require manual work to change the logging for specific stages. 
In a big process this can be a problem since not noticing some stages can be possible.

2 Comments
PvD_SE
Level 12

With 'best practice' being a moving target, I have a hard time seeing how this could be set in an acceptable manner for each company. 

We use a script that sets the level of logging on every stage in a process or object prior to being deployed. Basically, it sets Errors-only handling in every stage but for the following stages: Start, End, Decision, Choice, Note - these are set to enabled. This is quite easy to do and allows you to choose whatever kind of logging you want to have.

Perhaps it would be better to be able to set a global level for each different stage in BP. This way, when a stage is used in a process or object, the default logging level, as set for that particular stage, will be applied, rather than the arbitrary value used today. Obviously, this globally set default assigned value for logging level for that stage can be changed by the developer in the process or object.

EslamGhandour
Level 4
I can't disagree with what you're saying. However, I meant "best practices" recommended by blue prism not the versions adopted by each company.
In that case, even if the company's policy is not followed due to whatever reason, At least it will be according to Blue Prism recommendations. 

As far as I like the idea of having a script that do all these changes, not all companies allow running scripts and can have many roadblocks. Also it's still something that is not a built-in function in BP itself.

I also like your idea of having global level logging for different stages. I would say it makes more sense and will be easy to adjust based on companies policies. 

Either ways, a higher level of control on stages logging is needed. As the only 3 options we have are not always sufficient.