cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveMorris
Level 14

I think a Blue Prism license for academic/training purposes is a necessary evolution in Blue Prism's future. Currently, partners get an internal use license (5 sessions) that can be used by any of the partner's employees and that license is not intended for production use even though I am not aware of any actual limitation by the license file other than concurrent sessions.

I'm suggesting a similar license but one with feature limitations instead of concurrent session limitations.​ For example, the license itself could contain instructions for which parts of Blue Prism should be available once the license is installed in a BP environment. Scheduler could be disabled or there could be a limit to how many users can be added to the BP environment. I assume this might take an update to Blue Prism itself along with an update to the licenses, but I think it's worth it. I have more to share as always, but I'm trying to limit the words here. 😃

5 Comments
Venkata_Pranav_
Level 6

I remember Dave Moss (CTO, Blue Prism) answering a similar question at the Orlando Blue Prism World. A gist of what he said is, they understand they were protective of the software in initial stages, but now they're branching out and trying to become more open, with student accesses and free software download from portal and reach a wider audience.

JoshNoble1
Level 5
David,

Does the free license that we can provide with the Autonomous Training Kit solve this? That license enables 2 concurrent run-times per Blue Prism environment. You setup a training environment for each trainee 1 - 2 VDI/SQL Express, install BP, install the licenses, then populate the training environments with content from the ATK, ACE, or the 10 new Labs. The ATK and ACE are now available to anyone on the BP Portal. We removed the permit that was previously required for the ATK. The labs aren’t on the portal yet but Tracy can get those and the training license. The license simply needs to be renewed once a year.

Josh
DaveMorris
Level 14
@Josh Noble Apologies, I guess the emails about this ideas section​ are flagged as spam so I just noticed your reply.

Honestly, all the ATK stuff is great and I think it's a good idea to provide that without a special permission. But the main part that mattered to me was the license since it's not possible to do anything in BP without a license file. If there's a reduced concurrent session license that can be provided to people who want to learn, that solves the issue entirely for me. I can probably go through our account manager to request this, but if I didn't work at a company who has that contact already, how would someone obtain the license?
JamesW
Community Team
Community Team
Thanks for your idea. We've updated the status to "Under Consideration".
chris.strong
Staff
Staff

Hello,

I’m a little slow in responding here, in September 2019 we (Blue Prism) launched learning Initiatives to democratize RPA and create knowledge-sharing Communities.

I’m a little slow in responding here, in September 2019 we (Blue Prism) launched Blue Prism University and Learning Edition to provide widespread access to RPA knowledge and resources with a free 90-day Learning Edition license.

Tip: It’s now easier than ever to Try, Learn or Buy Blue Prism.

Further information: Blue Prism Launches Pioneering Learning Initiatives to Democratize RPA and Create Knowledge-Sharing Community

Kind regards

Chris Strong

Blue Prism Product Manager