cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALM API for BP

ShivaniChandras
Level 3
Hi all,

I'm looking for ALM api, to integrate the ALM application with BP and automate the basic processes like create/delete the users. I'm not able to find any asset or details on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

------------------------------
Shivani Chandrasekar
8 REPLIES 8

ewilson
Staff
Staff
Hi @ShivaniChandras,

Are you trying to integrate a 3rd party ALM tool with Blue Prism, or are you talking about the native ALM feature of Blue Prism Hub?

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

Hi @ewilson,

Actually I might need it for 3rd party application. But if you could enlighten me with both ways, it could be helpful.

Thanks.​

Shivani Chandrasekar

@ShivaniChandras,

As far as I know, there is no API for Blue Prism ALM. You have to work with it through the ALM plug-in for Blue Prism Hub.

For ant 3rd party ALM tool, it would depend on what that particular tool provides.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson

@ewilson,

I will be working with HP ALM (Micro focus) Tool, in which automation to be done for manipulation of users like create/delete/update. Need to use API to achieve them. ​Can you suggest ways to achieve it or any links which could help on it.

Thanks.

Shivani Chandrasekar

@ShivaniChandras,

Assuming you want to work with regular Blue Prism user accounts (i.e. System -> Security -> Users) as opposed to entries in Credential Manager​ (System -> Security -> Credentials) there's no direct/easy way to do this programmatically. There is an asset available on the DX that actually automates the Blue Prism Interactive Client UI to work with user accounts. You can find that utility here. NOTE: This utility has only been testes with Blue Prism v6.5.

If you're interested in Blue Prism credentials (those things managed by Credential Manager) there are options within the AutomateC utility that can be used to create/update credentials. You can find more details about the command-line flags here. With AutomateC you could either use PowerShell to remotely execute the necessary actions or wrap it in a VBO and call it via SOAP.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson

Hi @ewilson,

I want to automate the user manipulation process (Create/Delete/Update), using Blue Prism tool.  I want to utilize HP ALM REST API to achieve this. 

I need help regarding:

1. Understand how HP ALM REST API works.
  2. If any prior permissions are required from Azure or ALM.
  3. If involvement of azure accounts needed, here.
  4. Query samples for manipulation of users.

Any document or suggestions would help.

Thanks.

Shivani Chandrasekar

Hi all,

Can anyone help on this issue...

Thanks.

Shivani Chandrasekar

Hello @ShivaniChandras,

You're questions are covering multiple unrelated items. The HP ALM REST API (part of Micro Focus since 2017) is a REST interface for building applications that need to interact with the HP/Micro Focus ALM platform, also known as Quality Center. This API has nothing to do with Blue Prism. If you want to learn more about the Micro Focus REST API, you can refer to their developer documentation here.

I'm not sure why you're bringing up Azure unless your HP/Micro Focus platform is in the cloud? In either case, that's not really related to managing Blue Prism user accounts.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Blue Prism does not expose an API for managing users and their roles. This is something that we may see added to the Blue Prism REST API in the future. For now, if you want to programmatically manage Blue Prism user accounts/roles you either need to look at the Blue Prism Utility VBO, or you'll have to develop your own process/VBO that interacts directly with the Blue Prism database.

The Blue Prism Utility VBO, linked above, is a VBO that automates the Interactive Client itself. So you would expose the VBO as a SOAP web service and then invoke the exposed actions, via SOAP, to create/update/delete users and roles.

If you go the direct DB interaction route, please be aware that this may void your Blue Prism support agreement. Support generally frown upon people directly manipulating the database. With that said, you would want to look at the tables dbo.BPAUser, dbo.BPAUserRoleAssignment, and dbo.BPAPassword.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson