cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capability to encrypt or decrypt a file using a given key

NupurSood
Level 5
Hello All 

Is there a utility or code anyone is aware of that can help encrypt or decrypt a file (possibly excel with multiple tabs)

Thank You

------------------------------
Nupur Sood
Research Associate
S&P
Asia/Kolkata
4 REPLIES 4

ewilson
Staff
Staff
Hi @NupurSood,

Check out the Utility - Encryption VBO on the DX. You can find it here.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

Hello Eric

Thank you for your response. The DX asset shared seems to convert data items but I have excel files which I do not want to get as a string (due to formatting and amount of data). Would you have a suggestion to deal with a scenario like that where the complete file itself can be encrypted or decrypted

Regards
Nupur

Nupur Sood
Research Associate
S&P
Asia/Kolkata

Hi @NupurSood,

If the contents of the file are text you could still use this VBO to encrypt/decrypt it. You would just need to read the contents of the file into a Text data item, encrypt/decrypt that text, and then write the contents back out to disk. Unfortunately, this VBO doesn't support working with binary data at the moment, so a typical XLS file would be an issue. I'm adding this as a new feature request for the VBO.

FWIW - There are File.Encrypt() and File.Decrypt() actions available in .NET that could be called from a code stage. There is a potential issue with those though as they are specific to the logged in user account. In other words, you don't provide a specific key. The Windows O/S decides on the salt and key based on the logged-in user. So if robot XYZ encrypted a file only robot XYZ would be able to decrypt it.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

Thank You Eric

This was very helpful

Regards
Nupur

Nupur Sood