cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: "file chooser dialog can only be shown with a user"

TerryJames
Level 2
Hi,

I am working on an automation using Chrome that needs to be able to upload a file by clicking a "Choose File" button and selecting the file in the Upload window. I have spied the button using an XPath query and it highlights when I click highlight but when I run my click Button page for it I get an error in Chrome console that says, "file chooser dialog can only be shown with a user activation".

Has anyone else encountered this issue in Chrome? The only way I have been able to get around this is to region spy the button and click that way, but I would like to avoid that if there is a more reliable way.

------------------------------
Terry James
2 REPLIES 2

KodiSrihari
Level 8
Hi @Terry James,

Use the UI Identification tool  for spying . You can use another Object to attach to the dialog box, In attach specify the Window Title, Process Name and try with child index 0 or 1 and also revert back to default mode for App Manager in modeler.

You can refer the below past conversation on the same issue. Link attached below..

https://community.blueprism.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=145&MessageKey=159562b5-4961-4ed4-9048-ab5926ce06f8&CommunityKey=3743dbaa-6766-4a4d-b7ed-9a98b6b1dd01&tab=dig...

Thanks ,
Srihari​

Srihari
RPA Developer

Hi,

So this isn't really the same issue. In my problem the window doesn't open when I click the choose file button. Instead nothing happens when the bot clicks the button but when you inspect the element and look at the console you see the error: "file chooser dialog can only be shown with a user activation". 

Like I said in my previous post, I have found that I can region spy the area around the button and do a click center and it works fine. I have also found that a global click using the bounds of the button will work to. Either way you just have to make sure the window is maximized first before attempting the action. 

I was just trying see if anyone else had encountered this kind of issue but I think I have found a stable solution for the work I'm doing.

Terry James