cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Sheet VBO Auth

DiegoCoscolla
Level 3
Hi, I'm actually working with Google Sheet VBO, every time that i run an action from the vbo in a new resource this need the google auth, is there a way to automate that?

------------------------------
Diego Coscolla
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

@Diego Coscolla,

Ok. There are two options for addressing this.

1. If you're using a regular OAuth credential, you'll need to create a VBO/app model to handle clicking through the authorization screen.
  2. You can ask you Google Workspace administrator to provide a service account that's been granted "domain-wide" authorization. While it sounds like this is a lot of permission, they can actually limit it per Google application. The key here is the account will then be able to operate on data (within Google Sheets in this case) on behalf of any user. Using a service account in this fashion bypasses the authorization screen because the Workspace administrator has basically granted it already.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

View answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ewilson
Staff
Staff
Hi @Diego Coscolla,

I'm not sure I understand your question. The Google Sheets VBO uses a Client ID and Client Secret that are set as Environment Variables in the BP environment. Personally, I think that was a bad design decision. It should really just take a user ID as input and then pull details from Credential Manager, but that's just me.

However, the Sheets VBO captures client ID and secret on every action because it's creating a new instance of the Google Sheets Service object on every request. You could change that such a single instance of the Sheets Service is created on the first action of the VBO and then you store it as a global value. Then subsequent requests could use that same instance. I haven't tested this, but I think it would work. Is that what you're looking for?

Cheers

Eric Wilson

Hi @ewilson thanks for your answer, the problem is that the first time you run an action from the Google Sheets VBO it opens Google OAUTH windows in your predetermined browser, then if you dont sign in with an account with a Google Desktop API configured BP will be stuck in "WAITING" state and you will not able to use BP. In my work we have multiples machines with BP and we want to know if there is a chance that it doesn't ask for it on every machine

Diego Coscolla

@Diego Coscolla,

Ok. There are two options for addressing this.

1. If you're using a regular OAuth credential, you'll need to create a VBO/app model to handle clicking through the authorization screen.
  2. You can ask you Google Workspace administrator to provide a service account that's been granted "domain-wide" authorization. While it sounds like this is a lot of permission, they can actually limit it per Google application. The key here is the account will then be able to operate on data (within Google Sheets in this case) on behalf of any user. Using a service account in this fashion bypasses the authorization screen because the Workspace administrator has basically granted it already.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson

Thanks for your help @ewilson

Diego Coscolla