cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Remote Desktop Services VBO

WilliamLawrence
Level 3
​I have been trying to setup multi bot environment on a Terminal Server using Blue Prism provided Remote Desktop Services VBO. I was able to complete all the steps and connections to different bots for each account, but I am facing issue while I try to connect to the same user account on the terminal server the second time, after successfully Logging off the first session.

The Blue Prism Listener on the Master session shuts down automatically after establishing the second connection, thereby limiting any other connection calls. Has anyone encountered a similar issue? Any help is much appreciated.

------------------------------
William Lawrence
Sr. Automation Developer/Controller
Equitable Life of Canada
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
+1 289 980 6526
William Lawrence Sr. Automation Developer/Controller Equitable Life of Canada Waterloo, Ontario, Canada +1 289 980 6526
8 REPLIES 8

AmiBarrett
Level 12
If the user account is fully logged off (rather than simply disconnecting from RDP to cause a session lock), then the listener will indeed shut down.

If the intent is to perform a full log off, you might want to look into installing Login Agent, and having that kick off before logging into the system.

Ami Barrett
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism
Richardson, TX

Thanks for your reply Ami, but my issue is that the listener in Master session is shutting down ​automatically when a session user signs into the RDSH server second time and this is not happening with a logoff.

William Lawrence
Equitable Life of Canada
+1 289 980 6526
William Lawrence Sr. Automation Developer/Controller Equitable Life of Canada Waterloo, Ontario, Canada +1 289 980 6526

Have you checked the number of allowed concurrent sessions on the machine? It could be that the second session is forcing the first to log off.

Ami Barrett
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism
Richardson, TX

Hi Ami,

We have license for 5 sessions for the environment. Is there a concurrent sessions limit per machine? If so, I do I check this?

William Lawrence​

William Lawrence
Equitable Life of Canada
+1 289 980 6526

I think there's a little bit of confusion here. You're talking about process sessions, which is limited to the license. One foreground, and as many background processes on a single machine as you have available sessions for in your license, would be the answer to that. 

In contrast, I mean Windows sessions on the same box. The number of concurrent Windows sessions is typically defined by group policy.

Ami Barrett
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism
Richardson, TX

Hi Amy,

We verified the group policy to ensure it allowed multiple sessions and it still shuts down the listener. Is there anything else that I can try?

William

William Lawrence
Equitable Life of Canada
+1 289 980 6526

If you can verify that the session with the listener has not been logged off (you can test this by manually connecting to the second session and checking the users tab in task manager), then you may need to file a ticket. On win 7 through win 10/server 2018, I've never seen the listener shut down.

My only other thought would be that login agent is detecting the switch and shutting down the initial listener. 

All of this being said, I believe that only the session with the listener can run foreground applications. In theory, processes would be told to run as the same user in the same windows session. In the case of login agent, the login/lock screen counts as a separate windows session. If you need the process to run as this second user, consider either leveraging the runas command built in to the windows CLI, or installing the listener as a startup item on the other account.

Ami Barrett
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism
Richardson, TX

Hi Ami,

Thanks for your response. I have tried connecting multiple RDP sessions from Windows 10 VM's to the RDSH server and it works fine. The issue is only when I try creating the sessions from the Master Logon. I am assuming there might me a setting in the RDSH server that might me blocking it and causing the listener to shutdown. Is there anything that jumps into your mind that could lead to this? Meantime I will look into your suggestion above.

William​

William Lawrence
Equitable Life of Canada
+1 289 980 6526