------------------------------
rushikesh patil
3 REPLIES 3

bruce.liu
Staff
Staff
Hi Rushikesh,

You can start by going through the Blue Prism University course on Code Stages at https://blue-prism.docebosaas.com/learn/course/16700. This course should enable you to effectively use code stages providing you have prior knowledge of the programming languages applicable for Code Stages.

Code stages use .NET programming langugage such as C# and VB.NET, so additional training on one of those languages is essential to make best use of the feature. I would suggest you go through relevant trainings available elsewhere if you are interested.

Hope this helps.

Bruce Liu
Senior Product Consultant, Professional Services
Blue Prism
Australia/Sydney

Hi @rushikeshpatil

If is your first time programming, I recommend you to download and external IDE that helps you to understand easily C#.

Visual Studio is free in its Community version, here you have a link: https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/

(I recommend you to use Visual Studio instead of code stage because this IDE helps you with debugging functions, indicate when the syntax is not correct, autocomplete text when you type... the code stage not 😕 )

For C# tutorials, here you have some that can helps you to start https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/csharp

And you have many tutorials in YouTube to start in C#.

Hope this helps you! And enjoy the programming 🙂

See you in the Community, bye 🙂

Pablo Sarabia
Solution Manager & Architect
Altamira Assets Management
Madrid

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15
I personally was never much of a .NET coder,  I only learned it so I could code interfaces when working at Blue Prism.

My advice would be:
  • Do not use Blue Prism code stages as your Integrated Development Environment (IDE) - it is not one.  The .NET platform is an IDE that has been developed by Microsoft since the 1990's - if you want to create new .NET code then use that.   
  • What I used to do was use the free/express version of .NET to develop my code and then I used to transfer that code into Blue Prism code stages,  add the references,  and then run it in Blue Prism.  This saved me a lot of time fighting the poor IDE of the Blue Prism code stages.
  • As well as the guide Bruce mentions I recommend looking at some existing code stage VBOs to get some real world insight on how they have been constructed.  The Excel and Word VBOs are good examples of more advanced ones,   the utility VBOs are good examples of more basic ones.
  • Finally,  and I am guessing everyone knows this,  use the internet.  Almost everything you want to do has either already been done by someone and shared or has great reference material available for it online.  I used to use Codeproject a lot.

Denis Dennehy
Head of Professional Services, EMEA
Blue Prism Ltd
Europe/London