cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help- Append field in an empty collection overwrites values

AlessandroDell1
Level 3
Hi,
I'd like to have an explanation of  what is happening. I am reading some data from a website that are structured like a table ( let's say Column A/ Column B, Row 1 , Row 2 with the following values: 1, (row 1 Column A) 2 (Row 1 Column B) 3,4 (row 2 but same as before)). I am reading those values separately and store each one of them in a different data item. What i need to do is to have 1,2 on the same row (the 1st ) of the collection whereas 3,4 are supposed to be on another row but still the same one.( the 2nd).
Here is the resume of the process: 
1) read 1,2,
2) store 1 and 2 separately
3) add row to the collection
4)append data field text with the data item as an input to store 1 and 2 in the same row. Must say that i Don't add name of the fields manually. With append data field text I should be adding those already.
5) increase a counter that I have put in order to get values 3,4 from the website
6) repeat 2,3,4 steps.
Here's the problem. What I noticed is that I end up having 2 rows, but not with values 1,2 (the 1st ) and 3,4(the 2nd) rather 3,4 and 3,4. As if  the last append field overwrites everything. 
Am I doing this wrong? am i supposed to use append field text only the first time a create a row in the collection and then just use calculation stages to write the values?

Help would be very much appreciated
Thank you,

------------------------------
Alessandro Dell'Anno
1 REPLY 1

Cringeface
Level 2

Hello Alessandro - If you're using the Append Field action in that context, it will populate the data items for the entirety of that "field" AND Value. If I understand what you're trying to do, you should [Collections: Add Row] and then use a calculate stage to Populate the data in the collection row. The assumption here is that the field headers will be setup for these columns.

1. Add Row

2. Calc Stage: Data item1 -> [Collection.Field1],  Data item2 - > [Collection.Field2]

3. Rinse, repeat.

It's the append field action that's giving you the undesirable results. 

Feel free to reach out with any questions.
-Joe

Joe Freeze
Cringeface LLC
Saint Louis