cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LoggingLevelsXml

bkedikilwe
Level 2

Good day,

I am trying to find the logging levels recorded in our database.

Currently, I am investigating the BPASession table and the LoggingLevelsXml column. However, this column is always null in my database.

I have set my logging levels to "Error only" at the resource level.

I have the following questions:

1. Why are my logging levels not being captured in the BPASession database?
2. What does this column represent?
3. How can I determine the logging levels for other environments by querying their database? Which other tables and columns should I consider investigating

1 REPLY 1

Hi @bkedikilwe ,

The logs are usually captured in the BPASessionLog_NonUnicode table where result column indicates the exact log message while resulttype indicates the type of the log that got stored.

If you know the sessionnumber from the BPASession table, then you can pass the sessionnumber for fetching all the logs related to that session in the BPASessionLog_NonUnicode table.

However, the tricky part is what exactly the resulttype column represents. From what I have observed so far in my table, the possible values for this column are 8, 16, 64 and NULL. Below is my observation for each of the resulttype column value where the message was logged, if the messaging is not enabled then NULL value will be shown here:

- 8: Represents stages like Calculation and Decision stages where the logged result was in Boolean format (True or False).

16: Represents stages like Calculation and Action stages where the logged result was in Integer format. 

64: Represents stages like Calculation, Action, Note, Loop stages where the logged result is in Text format. Examples for this column can be logs from error messages, entry logs for session startup, entry logs for initiation of loop stage, and any notes being added as part of the note stage in the process.

As you can see that, 64 consists of multiple scenarios as text logs are quite common, hence if you want to just get the logs messages with ERROR type of logs, your best bet would be to use a query like below:

SELECT * 
FROM BPASessionLog_NonUnicode 
WHERE resulttype = 64 
AND result LIKE '%ERROR%' 
AND sessionnumber = <ENTER_SESSION_NUMBER>

This query would return all the rows where log messages consist of the keyword 'ERROR' and every exception message has this keyword at the beginning.

There are many unused columns in most of the tables in the Blue Prism database which is due to the fact that during the initial design they were intended for being used but then down the line they were never used but also were not removed. Perhaps this is the reason why you don't see any values for the column, 'LoggingLevelsXml'. Someone from the product team can confirm on the same.

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please mark it as the best answer

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Technical Business Analyst,
WonderBotz India Pvt. Ltd.
Blue Prism Community MVP | Blue Prism 7x Certified Professional
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com

----------------------------------