cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attach already opened excel file

AmitPatnaik
Level 4
I want to attach already opened excel file. PFB the task performed : Window title : demo.xlsx process name of target application : EXCEL.EXE*32 ------------------------------ Clicking the attach button : Error - Failed to launch application - Target application could not be identified ----------------------------------- Kindly suggest the steps If I am doing anything wrong
9 REPLIES 9

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
For process name you don't need the exe, just the name, ie excel

AmitPatnaik
Level 4
Hi John, Even if I entered : excel It is still throwing the same error Thanks, Amit

You don't want the '*32' either. Are you sure the Window Title is correct, and do you need both that and the process name anyway?

BastiaanBezemer
Level 5
Also: can the MS excel VBO meet your needs? if so, no need To reinvent the wheel ?

AmitPatnaik
Level 4
Hi Ciaran, Yes I double checked the file name. It was always failed to open the file. Amit-

AmitPatnaik
Level 4
Hi Bastiaan,   We have external plugin that is installed , which will generate a new tab alongside Team We have to work on that tab. Note : I have done this via Macro but that's the last resort Is there any shortcoming of blue prism that it won't be able to attach excel file?   Amit-

BastiaanBezemer
Level 5
Is there any shortcoming of blue prism that it won't be able to attach excel file? The answer is: No ☺ See attached file ""BPA Object - Attach Excel.xml"". If you wrote a macro to the needed actions: even more useful (in my opinion) is to extend the existing MS Excel VBO to suit your needs: The code in this business object is very much VBA like  

SanjanaS1
Level 3
Hi All,   Just had a small suggestion. try using wildcards for Window Title as there will be a unique number generated when you launch en excel with an instance: Window title : *demo.xlsx* process name of target application : EXCEL

AmitPatnaik
Level 4
Yes I have used the same thing *file name* and it worked. Thanks all of you