cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching to Object

jgregor4
Level 6
I wanted to see how people attach to business objects from their processes.
The standard way we have been doing it is to have an attach page that is called at the start of each action page, however i have been thinking that if the initialise page is called each time the object loads would it be easier to just have the attach action there?
I have never used Initialise or Clean up pages for anything so wondering A) if this would work, and B) what other people use these pages for.

------------------------------
James Gregory
RPA Developer
Europe/London
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15
You are using best practices as recommended by Blue Prism - my recommendation is you keep aligned with that.

The initialise page is only called when the object is initialised - which happens only once.   You want to continue calling your attach page from each individual action (even if almost always it does nothing because you are already attached) in case something happens that has detatched you or restarted your application (such as restart exception handling)

Denis Dennehy
Head of Professional Services, EMEA
Blue Prism Ltd
Europe/London

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15
You are using best practices as recommended by Blue Prism - my recommendation is you keep aligned with that.

The initialise page is only called when the object is initialised - which happens only once.   You want to continue calling your attach page from each individual action (even if almost always it does nothing because you are already attached) in case something happens that has detatched you or restarted your application (such as restart exception handling)

Denis Dennehy
Blue Prism Ltd
Europe/London

Thanks Denis, I was a little unsure if the initialise would be called more than once so glad that has been cleared up.

Still curious to know what people may use these 2 pages for though, just for awareness and potential ideas.

James Gregory
RPA Developer
Europe/London

Good question, they are rarely used - I think I have used them in relation to API code stage logic in the past or using clean up to fix some thing that stops a specific system from closing down cleanly.

If I go back far enough.. to version 2 of our product before Object studio existed... I think the 'External VBO' code we used to create had Initialise and Clean Up routines related to some XML we had to create that allowed it to be referenced and called by object studio and some other stuff - so I suspect the reason is at least in part historic.

Denis Dennehy
Blue Prism Ltd
Europe/London