cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot 'Install Database'

johnlawton
Level 2
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have only just downloaded Blue Prism on an evaluation. I have installed Blue Prism and on my first run of it I am asked to create a password which I have done, then I'm asked to Install Database:
11159.png
I then encounter and 'Ooops' screen:
11160.pngWhen I click on Error Details I get this:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at BluePrism.AutomateAppCore.LocalDatabaseInstaller.get_a()
at BluePrism.AutomateAppCore.LocalDatabaseInstaller.get_DatabaseExists()
at AutomateUI.WelcomeWizard.h(Object iir, DoWorkEventArgs iis)

Can anyone shed any light on this and how to resolve it as I only have a 30 day evaluation period and I'd like to test it before the time runs out.
Thanks,
John

------------------------------
john lawton
12 REPLIES 12

NicholasRudy
Staff
Staff
Hi John,

I would look at a couple of different things.  First, with Blue Prism 6.6 (the first learner edition), Blue Prism installs a lightweight, local version of MS SQL Server 2017.  This means your machine needs to satisfy the minimum requirements for MS SQL Server 2017 (which I believe do match the requirements for Blue Prism 6.6).  Here is a link to the release notes for the learning edition - https://portal.blueprism.com/system/files/documents/v6.6%20Getting%20started%20-%20Blue%20Prism%20Trial%20and%20Learning%20Editions_0.pdf.

My experience has been if you are experiencing an issue like you are experiencing, there is a good chance that one of the minimum requirements is not being met.  I specifically ran into this when I attempted to install this version on a Windows 7 Machine.  Here are the minimum specs per the above document:

• Intel Processor
• 2GB RAM
• Minimum 10GB free disk space (after install of Operating System and standard software)
• Windows 8.1 (64-bit) or 10 (64-bit)
• .NET Framework 4.7

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Rudy
Senior Solution Engineer
Blue Prism
America/Chicago

chris.strong
Staff
Staff

Hello John,

We've seen this a few times now with the new Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition database setup.  We think it is permissions related but up to now, we haven't been able to pin down the root cause to prevent it happening in future.

To try (To ensure that Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB installs correctly on your computer)

1. Close Blue Prism
  2. Within Blue Prism Trial (or Learning Edition) installed but not open, attempt to install Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB manually
    1. Blue Prism deploys the installer (by default) to:
      1. C:\Program Files\Blue Prism Limited\Blue Prism Automate\Installers\ SqlLocalDB.msi
    2. If that installs successfully, then open Blue Prism and it will attempt to setup the database for you.

If you get the same error as original post again, completely stripping Blue Prism and Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB from your computer and installing again has resolved for other users.

1. Tip: See Blue Prism Community post - Issues While Installing

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Hi Chris
Thanks for the advise, unfortunately this hasn't worked. I completely uninstalled both Blue Prism and all SQL programs. I then reinstalled SQL Server 2017 LocalDB and made sure it installed to C:\Program Files\Blue Prism Limited\Blue Prism Automate\Installers\ SqlLocalDB.msi  - I then installed and ran Blue Prism 6.6 and I got the same error message as originally 😞

So, unfortunately for me this fix didn't work.
Regards
John

john lawton

Hello John,

Oh no, those steps have resolved for other users.  I'll copy the explicit instructions into this thread and also, failing that, we have a potential workaround too (although this hasn't previously been needed).

We've included steps at the back of the 6 GETTING STARTED - BLUE PRISM TRIAL AND LEARNING EDITIONS guide on how to completely remove Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition.

This is the URL / link to the document: https://portal.blueprism.com/documents/v66-getting-started-blue-prism-trial-and-learning-editions 

Screenshot below which also highlights the steps that you probably wouldn't have known to do:

11078.jpg

The extra steps clear down the Microsoft LocalDB setup by removing the database instance and supporting files.

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Uninstall steps (extracted from the guide)

You can simply uninstall Blue Prism using the Windows Add or remove programs or run the installer and select the uninstall option. To completely remove all Blue Prism components and data from your device, follow the additional steps below:

1. Open the command line Run the following commands to stop and remove the local database instance:
    1. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\sqllocaldb" stop blueprismlocaldb
    2. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\sqllocaldb" delete blueprismlocaldb
  2. Open Windows Explorer Remove the following configuration folders:
    1. C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Blue Prism Limited
    2. C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Blue Prism Limited
    3. C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\Instances\BluePrismLocalDB
    4. C:\ProgramData\Blue Prism Limited
  3. Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB
    1. SQL Server 2017 LocalDB is installed and set up during the Trial and Learning Edition setup. If this is not used for any other purpose and is no longer required, you can uninstall using the Windows Add or remove programs.

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Hello John,

If the complete removal of Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB still doesn't resolve your issue, the following workaround may resolve for you (or at least get you up and running):

1. Install the Blue Prism Trial again (If not already installed)
  2. Install Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 2017(or above)
  3. Open Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.
  4. Connect to (LocalDB)\BluePrismLocalDB.
  5. In Object Explorer, right-click Databases and select New Database.
  6. On the New Database screen, configure the following properties:
    • Database name - BluePrism
    • Path - We recommend you update the paths to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Blue Prism Limited\databases, where [username] is your Windows user directory.
  7. Click OK. The new database will be added to the databases list.
  8. Open Blue Prism.

Note: The above is manual steps to create an empty database ready for Blue Prism to use.  I expect this to bypass the error you were originally seeing.  If not, have one final workaround to switch off the automatic creation of a Blue Prism Trial database.  This will then allow you to manually create, populate and link to an alternative database.

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Hi Chris

Still no joy I'm afraid.
11091.png

11092.png

john lawton

Hello John,

OK, we're making progress.  The error message within Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio indicates that a Blue Prism database already exists.

Let's remove it so you can add your new one.

Staying within Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

1. Within the Object Explorer (ensure the connection is (localdb\BluePrismLocalDB)
  2. Expand Databases
  3. Right-click on BluePrism and select Delete
  4. Then try to create your new BluePrism database again and continue following the steps.

11098.png

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Once you have managed to create a new BluePrism database in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and then opened Blue Prism, I expect one of two things to happen: 

1. Everything works and you no longer have the original error; or
  2. You receive the same error you originally had.
    • If this is the case, we have one more resolution.

Either way, it would be good to know as this would help us focus on identifying the root cause of the issue to prevent it happening in future. 

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism