cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consuming SOAP API - Deserialise Response?

MJTM
Level 2

Hello,

Disclaimer - my knowledge of Web Services is extremely limited. 

We're trying to utilise an API for a SOAP service.
We've been provided a .wsdl which Blue Prism cannot import (as it does not support recursive data types) but have managed to get 200 responses using both the Web API Services setting page & the Utility - HTTP Object. 

The issue is in the response. The response we're receiving is a single <proto></proto> tag (XML) containing a string of characters. 
After some googling we've found the data has been serialised using protobuf and needs to be deserialised. 
Is there any way we can do this automatically in Blue Prism using either the HTTP object, or settings page? Or will this need to be a custom piece of code to deserialise against a defined class?
If so, any useful guides out there anyone knows of, or a starting point? 

If any other info is needed, let me know!

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

ewilson
Staff
Staff

Hello @Matthew Martin 

I'm no protobuf expert, but my understanding is that serialization and deserialization are governed by message definitions (i.e. object definitions) usually contained in a .proto file. Do you have the object definitions for the API you're working with?

There is no standard action in the Web API services feature of HTTP object of Blue Prism to handle protobuf, but there are various libraries available that could be leveraged from a Code stage to address this.

Cheers,
Eric