cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting field value

Hi,

there is a following use case:
1. a user fills parts of the form (fields)
2. the user changes the mind and based on logic he is changing the fields and combo box values which is causing showing and hiding some fields
3. now the requirement is that the hidden fields will be emptied (will be having initial value which often will be blank)

I tried that but I am struggling in case the field is mandatory that the value can't be deleted. Is there any workaround how to achieve this instead of putting fields in optional even though they are mandatory which would destroy the logic of the form not being submitted unless all mandatory fields are filled?

Thanks.

Regards,

Zdenek

------------------------------
Zdeněk Kabátek
Head of Professional Services
NEOOPS
http://www.neoops.com/
Europe/Prague
7 REPLIES 7

joefarr
Staff
Staff
Hi Zdeněk

Is your issue that the field isn't blanked automatically when a field is changed and the associated rules then change which fields are hidden/mandatory? 

Using rules changing fields to hidden or mandatory based on logic, I was still able to submit the form if I'd put an answer in a field that was now hidden. I was also able to remove the value manually and then change the selection but if I did not do this, the answer that became hidden when I changed my previous answer was still submitted. If this is causing you problems, could you use logic in your Blue Prism process to dictate which answer is the correct one based on previous answers and have it ignore ones which shouldn't have been completed? 

Please let me know if this helps or if I have missed your point entirely!

Thanks

Joe Farr
Product Consultant
Blue Prism Limited

Hi, Joe,

again thanks for coming back so quickly. You understand the case correctly. The issue is that I am going to have probably 100 rules and if I am to check all the dependencies in Blue Prism that would be very difficult for maintenance if the form logic is going to be changed I need to do my changes in two places and you can imagine how complicated it is going to be. So I would rather use a form rule in Interact to have everything in one place.

And yes - the idea is to delete the field(s) value(s) based on hide/show. So let's say that I choose option1 from combo it will show some fields. I continue in the form to the next section. In 5 minutes I realize that I have made a mistake and I am going to choose option2 instead of option1 so I would need Interact to delete all the values for the fields which were shown for option1 not to send them to BP and build a logic in BP.

I would accept the solution that I would put the field as optional and then set value to empty but it did not allow me that.

Regards,

Zdenek

Regards,

Zdenek

Zdeněk Kabátek
NEOOPS
Europe/Prague

Hi Zdeněk 

Here is an example where, depending on the value of a radio button, a subsequent field has it's value set to blank. I've just tested this and it does clear the field if you change the previous answer. I hope this will satisfy your requirement to have the logic in one place, but it does mean adding more rules in your form. Is this of any use?
4035.pngThanks

Joe Farr
Product Consultant
Blue Prism Limited

Hi, Joe,

if the field "First" is mandatory then it won't allow you to leave the Value empty. Try it. At least in version 4.2 I can't leave it empty.

Regards,

Zdenek

Zdeněk Kabátek
NEOOPS
Europe/Prague

Hi Zdeněk

You are correct, in my rule set the field's initial stage is set to hidden and only becomes mandatory based on a previous answer. Are you trying to change the state of a previous answer based on a subsequent question? 

For example:
1. Question with Mandatory Field
2.  Question with Mandatory Field which, depending on the answer, can make Question 1 no longer required?

Joe Farr
Product Consultant
Blue Prism Limited

Hi, Joe,

something like that. Or you can imagine following use case:
1. you have a drop down with Option 1 and Option2
2. A user chooses Option 1 which shows some mandatory fields. The user fills them in and then changes the mind and goes to drop down and chooses Option 2.
3. This means that mandatory fields for Option 1 are hidden and values should be deleted.

Regards,

Zdenek

Zdeněk Kabátek
NEOOPS
Europe/Prague

Oh I see.

As an alternative, could you make the initial states of all the dependent questions hidden, both for Option 1 and Option 2? On my form, I had all dependent fields hidden and changed them to mandatory based on the option selected and had additional rules hiding them if another option was selected  and more setting the value to it's initial value (which was blank). 

Would this method not work for your use case?
4044.png

Joe Farr
Product Consultant
Blue Prism Limited