cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find out which version from DEV is currently in PROD

IngridOlsen
Level 4
​Hi
I am struggeling to see which version of a Business object in DEV is active in PROD - so i can effectively use the compare function i DEV to check if there are unexpected changes made in DEV as compared to the version currently in PROD.

When I import a release to PROD can only see the 'import into PROD date". So now I have to find the imported release containing the object in PROD, and then find the same release in DEV, to see when that release was created from DEV and then which version in DEV must have been in that release.  To ease this we have started putting the date/timestamp from when the release from DEV was created in the releasename, and that helps a bit, but it is not optimal.

So is there a smarter way of doing this? (and I really hope there is... :-)..    
  • Could be that the object secretly has a version number or timestamp, that can also be seen in PROD. I looked at the "File export" file and it doesnt seem like it contains anything like that or the export date, but I could be wrong…  or
  • that we somehow from the database can extract a list of all existing objects per environment including the name of the latest release name that contained each object - in that case we will be able to use the naming convention with the date/timestamp  …..or …
  • some other solution...

------------------------------
Ingrid Olsen
Configurator and proces consultant
Forca
Europe/Copenhagen
2 REPLIES 2

Walter.Koller
Level 11
Hello,

There is a version field in Blue Prism repository DB tables and in the XML when creating an export/release.
Unfortunately I could not find any way to set or view this version information in Blue Prism, it does not change and is always 1.0 anyways.

You can add the last change date of the item into its description field to see which version it is.
Unfortunately this info will not be updated automatically and only works as long as it is changed manually with each update.

Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Erste Group IT International GmbH
Europe/Vienna

Hi, 

As stated by Walter, the database actually have the field, and BluePrism provided object uses it. 

What you could do, is to do a export and in edit the XML file. Normally on the first row, in a bprelease you have to drilldown a bit.

<process name="Login v2" version="1.0" bpversion="6.2.1.4272" narrative="Logs into the target resource using the credential for the machine as specified in the environment variable &quot;Login Format String&quot;" byrefcollection="true" preferredid="4a94c809-ec51-41f6-a4fd-c183065c57f1">

Edit the "1.0" to your version is working, but a bit inconvinient. Asked BP support and at that time, they did not have any objections. Would be great if the tool would provide a drop-down for the major & minor version number. ( Maybe it's there in later versions.)

Bit surprised that this is not adressed, as the workflow is to use Development Env --> HyperCare Env --> Production Environment. (For most customers.) 

With versions, a lot of things get easier... 

A developer would gladly share a process/object, because the functionality is set and the devloper could continue to improve functions in consecutive releases, and not break dependant processes. Now ; it's only "the latest version" and it actually limit the sharing idea.. 

Do think that later versions have a improved automateC.exe binary, so is there anyone combining it with a CVS (and a semi-automatic versioning. )
I'm thinking in DEV, push a export to your CVS, in that process set a version. Then populat all down-stream environments from the CVS. (and maybe even DEV.) 

Have a great one. 

Hakan Engman
Automation engineer
Teliacompany.com
Europe/Stockholm