cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IF Else Statement

DianaPalmer
Level 2
How do you write an IF else statement as an expression in Blueprism.  I want to use the calculation stage to determine if one date is earlier than the other, then I will use the earlier date and store the earlier date in a data item.
12 REPLIES 12

AmiBarrett
Level 12
Without a code stage, this would need to be done using either a Decision or a Choice stage. if x=y    Do code else    Do other code Would look like [Decision] x=y Yes    Do code No    Do other code   You could also have if x=y    Do code block 1 else if x=z    Do code block 2 else    Do other code Which would look like [Choice] x=y    Do code block 1 x=z    Do code block 2 Otherwise    Do other code

DianaPalmer
Level 2
I am not familiar with the code stage. Do you have any documents you can send to me so I can read about how to use it.

AmiBarrett
Level 12
It's an option that is only available from an object, and not from a process. However, a process can call an object. In the initialize page for an object, you can click the stage containing the page name. This will allow you to choose the language (C#, VB, J#), as well as enter global code and add .dll files & namespaces that can be referenced through the whole object. On any action you create within that object, you can place a code stage, which will compile and execute whatever code you write. I recommend poking through some of the utility objects such as Collection Manipulation (or Collections, I've seen it labeled both ways) to get a feel for how it works.

DianaPalmer
Level 2
Thank you  

Hi Ami,
Are there any plans to add Immediate If (iif) to the expressions? That sure would simplify many things.

------------------------------
Kevin Miller

Hi @KevinMiller,

As far as I know, there are no plans to add support for a ternary conditional operation as a native function within the Calculation stage. Within a process/VBO flow you can replicate the basic capability though by using a regular Decision stage and two Calculation stages as depicted below.

21570.png
You can also use the IIF (VB.NET) or ?: (C#) features within Code stages. 

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

There is a workaround :

Replace( Replace( {Condition} ;

True;  {CommandIfTrue} );

False; {CommandIfFalse} )

-------------------------------------------

Original Message:
Sent: 2/24/2022 1:41:00 PM
Subject: RE: Without a code stage, this…

Hi Ami,
Are there any plans to add Immediate If (iif) to the expressions? That sure would simplify many things.

Kevin Miller

Nice idea @Johan Michiels!. For anyone that's interested, here's an example of how this looks in a Collection stage. In this example, the input data item Test Value is a Number set to 1. Running over this Calculation stage results in the output This is a True value. being output. If you were to change the value of Test Value to say -1 you would get This is a False value. as output.

21571.png
Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

Hi Diana,

You can use the If Else Statement using Decision Stage in Blue Prism. Screenshot attached below
21572.jpg
21573.jpg

Vikash Anand
Application Development Senior Analyst
Accenture