cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Item ID Error when updating Queue Item status

CharlesBaker
Level 3
Hello, I have started encountering a problem with the Work Queues: Update Status action. The problem is, as I run my process from time-to-time I get the exception message "Invalid Item ID" from this action stage. There does not seem to be any issue with the inputs - I am passing a valid Item ID to this action stage. I have been running this process now for months and this issue never previously occurred, only in the past week have I started seeing this error. Does anyone have any experience with this? Could it be something to do with the database?
5 REPLIES 5

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15
Two potential causes as I see it: 1.  There is an issue with your queue handling logic where you have an old or incorrect item id in your solution somewhere that is being used in a rare scenario in your flow.  If you are using our standard Process Template as the basis for your process build (which everyone should be) then the chances are that is not the cause. 2. Do you have most logging turned off in your solutions before they are moved into production and do you have a data archiving policy in place and enforced - so that you are deleting old session logs either by dba script or using the automatic archiving feature within Blue Prism.  I have heard an example of a client having work queue issues because their database was not being monitored and maintained - it had grown enormous, inefficient, and slow.

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
It does sound strange Charles. You're certain the ID is OK, it's a valid ID that came from an output of one of the actions in the Internal Work Queues object? There's no way it can be blank, or have been modified somehow? And the item is definitely in the queue - it hasn't been deleted?

CharlesBaker
Level 3
There is really nothing in between getting the item ID and using the item ID that changes the value. Basically I search for Items with a specific tag and immediately use an action stage to get the item data. This was working previously and suddenly stopped working, I only see this problem when trying to access an ""Excepted"" Queue Item using the Item ID. I have cleaned out the database and we have most of the logging turned off, however this problem is persisting. 

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
In most cases the ID can only be used to update an item that you have locked via Get Next Item. If you get the ID some other way (like Get Completed Items) then very few update functions will work, because you have not locked the item.

TolaniJaiye-Tik
Level 4
Just as John_Carter suggested, can you check to make sure the Item ID you are using is from the Get Next Item Action?