cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invoking Schedulers from Process iteself

AmritapaPattana
Level 3
Hi Pros..

Is there a way we can invoke a particular bot using it's scheduler via BP Process itself ?
Example : after 20 transactions from queue are completed, I want to invoke another BOT using the BP process. Is it doable?

------------------------------
Amritapa Pattanayak
ad01/ara01
America/New_York
3 REPLIES 3

​Hi Amritapa,

I do not know whether this works or not. Till we get best approach from experts would suggest reading Dynamic scheduler and Command line options to get some insight on AutomateC. Review Image

Rajesh kumar Muthineni
RPA Developer
Highmark Health
America/Chicago

david.l.morris
Level 14
This is going to depend on a few things such as whether this is an outlying scenario or if it's functionality you want to use throughout multiple processes. But, essentially: Yes, it's doable. Is it a good idea? Not unless you make this a standardized and controlled practice.

Every now and then, someone comes to the forum...(err community? I can't call it community with a straight face)...and asks about something like this. The generic answer is that you basically need Dynamic Scheduling, which is a concept that Blue Prism has documented. You can find documentation for it here: link to Blue Prism Portal Documents section. Another way that a few have implemented (such as @AmiBarrett) is to build an app outside of Blue Prism that spins up sessions of processes whenever the need arises and bypasses the Scheduler in Blue Prism. Both of these methods are more complex and require you to go through a fair amount of discussion, effort, development, etc to make it happen. I can be worth it but only if you intend to use this a lot.

Now that I've made it sound really difficult, let me say that this can be really easy...it just depends. What's your use case for this? I can't really think of a good reason why a second session would be started after processing 20 transactions. First, you'll need to ensure that a second machine is available to run the process as a second session (unless the process is background mode, in which case it can be run on the same/current machine). If the second machine is available, then yes it's pretty easy to invoke a CLI command to spin up a specific process on another machine. But I feel like I need to ask what your use case is because you could go about it with a different design to achieve the same results.
​​

Dave Morris
3Ci @ Southern Company
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

Thanks to both of you.
I am planning to design something where if there is certain amount  of pending items in queue depth , then it will trigger an available resource to meet the SLA. As this use case have varying amount of transactions daily, which does not require to spin up 3 (example) bots always from the beginning.
It is kind of acting as a load balancer.
Amrit

Amritapa Pattanayak