cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues While Installing

amitmohanty
Level 2
Hi All,

I am trying to install trail version in my system. Just after I set Admin Credentials. I get following error.
11318.png

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at BluePrism.AutomateAppCore.LocalDatabaseInstaller.get_a()
at BluePrism.AutomateAppCore.LocalDatabaseInstaller.get_DatabaseExists()
at AutomateUI.WelcomeWizard.h(Object iir, DoWorkEventArgs iis)

Can you help me find this solution?

Thanks in advance

------------------------------
amit mohanty
18 REPLIES 18

Thank you Balram,

If I understand correctly, when you first installed Blue Prism, you got as far as the following screen:

11304.jpg

(Assuming this is what you are referring to as "…went up to connection string setup screen where I was not able to figure out something")

If I've understood correctly (I may not have), it indicates that Blue Prism was installed correctly and then you didn't know what username and password to enter.

Tip: Next time you get this far, the username is admin and the password is the password you choose when installing.

Again (if I have understood), completely removing Blue Prism from your system and install Blue Prism Trial or Learning Edition again should resolve you issue:

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Yes , exactly this screen

------Original Message------

Thank you Balram,

If I understand correctly, when you first installed Blue Prism, you got as far as the following screen:

11306.jpg

(Assuming this is what you are referring to as "…went up to connection string setup screen where I was not able to figure out something")

If I've understood correctly (I may not have), it indicates that Blue Prism was installed correctly and then you didn't know what username and password to enter.

Tip: Next time you get this far, the username is admin and the password is the password you choose when installing.

Again (if I have understood), completely removing Blue Prism from your system and install Blue Prism Trial or Learning Edition again should resolve you issue:

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Thank you Balram for your clarification,

You have received the same error other users have after previously having Blue Prism installed and working. 

Therefore, completely removing Blue Prism from your system and installing Blue Prism Trial or Learning Edition again should resolve your issue:

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Can you please show me any article or blog on how to remove it completely?

As I uninstalled/installed many times that didn't help.

------Original Message------

Thank you Balram for your clarification,

You have received the same error other users have after previously having Blue Prism installed and working. 

Therefore, completely removing Blue Prism from your system and installing Blue Prism Trial or Learning Edition again should resolve your issue:

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Hello Balram,

We've included steps at the back of the Getting Started Guide - Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition guide on how to completely remove Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition.

Screenshot below which also highlights the steps that you probably wouldn't have known to do:

11309.jpg

The extra steps clear down the Microsoft LocalDB setup by removing the database instance and supporting files.

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Uninstall steps (extracted from the guide)

You can simply uninstall Blue Prism using the Windows Add or remove programs or run the installer and select the uninstall option. To completely remove all Blue Prism components and data from your device, follow the additional steps below:

1. Open the command line Run the following commands to stop and remove the local database instance:
    1. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\sqllocaldb" stop blueprismlocaldb
    2. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\sqllocaldb" delete blueprismlocaldb
  2. Open Windows Explorer Remove the following configuration folders:
    1. C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Blue Prism Limited
    2. C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Blue Prism Limited
    3. C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\Instances\BluePrismLocalDB
    4. C:\ProgramData\Blue Prism Limited
  3. Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB
    1. SQL Server 2017 LocalDB is installed and set up during the Trial and Learning Edition setup. If this is not used for any other purpose and is no longer required, you can uninstall using the Windows Add or remove programs.

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

I've got a similar error which isn't resolved by the above steps.

At the installation stage "Installing Local Database" I get the error:

BluePrism.BPCoreLib.InvalidArgumentException: The file '' is invalid
at BluePrism.AutomateAppCore.LocalDatabaseInstaller.CreateInstance()
at BluePrism.AutomateAppCore.LocalDatabaseInstaller.FullInstall(String username, SafeString password)
at AutomateUI.WelcomeWizard.i(Object imn, DoWorkEventArgs imo)

I don't have SQL Server installed (nothing under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server) although I do have this directory "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition" which has no executables equivalent of MSSQL 2017.

Any ideas?

Robert Patrick

Hello Robert,

Although your error looks like Amit's, on review they are different.

We started seeing your error for the first time in February 2020, around 5 months after we first released Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition

We think your issue is triggered by a Windows update requiring a restart, that has not yet been performed.  This prevents the Blue Prism database setup from being able to read the location of the Microsoft SQL Server LocalDB 2017 installer, which is why the we get the error "The file '' is invalid"

To attempt to resolve your issue:

1. Leave Blue Prism installed and restart your computer
  2. Open Blue Prism
  3. Enter the password you want to user for your admin user
  4. I expect Microsoft SQL Server LocalDB 2017 will then be installed

I've provided a detailed response on another thread: Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Hello Robert,

Did restarting your computer resolve the issue you were seeing?

If so, do you know if there was a pending restart required from Windows updates?

Rationale for asking: Firstly, I'm double checking that you are now up and running and also to see if there are any nuggets of information that will help us pin-point the problem to prevent it being an issue on future.

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism