cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Outlook VBO

DeclanKeeton
Level 3
​Hi,

I am looking to use the Outlook VBO to send emails as I need to use HTML enabled for the formatting.

I need to be able to send from a shared mailbox.

Does anybody have the code required to either amend the 'Send Email' action
or create a 'Send Email From' action.

(I can not use the POP3/SMTP object)

------------------------------
Declan Keeton
RPA Developer
E.ON
7 REPLIES 7

AmiBarrett
Level 12

Edit: Redoing this post, because I initially misread the query. (Thank you BP, for finally allowing edits!)

Just before the mail.save and mail.send lines, add this:

Inputs:

[SendFrom] - Text

Code:

if SendFrom <> Nothing
	mail.SentOnBehalfOfName = SendFrom
end if​

​Hi Ami,

Thanks to the forums for the edits as much happier with the edited than the original reply!

This worked perfectly and was quick to implement.

Thanks mate!

Declan Keeton
RPA Developer
E.ON

Hello Ami

I saw, that you support Declan by an issue with Outlook and Sent E-Mails on Behalf. I have the problem, that I cant sent E-Mails on behalf with this code from a shared mailbox. Maybe you can give me an hint, what I am doing wrongly​? Secondly, I am also not got the output that thee E-Mail was sent.

Dim oApp As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook._Application
oApp = New Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.Application
Dim myItem As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.MailItem

try
 myItem = oApp.CreateItemFromTemplate(templatePath)
myItem.From = FromAddress
 myItem.To = mailAddress
 myItem.Subject = myItem.Subject _
     .Replace("<Name>", firstName) _
     .Replace("<Surname>", lastName)
 myItem.HTMLBody = myItem.HTMLBody _
  .Replace( _
   "<span style='background:silver;mso-highlight:silver'>Ms. X</span> / <span style='background:silver;mso-highlight:silver'>Mr. Y</span>", firstLine) _
  .Replace( _
   "<span style='background:silver;mso-highlight:silver'>Sehr geehrte Frau X</span> / <span style='background:silver;mso-highlight:silver'>Sehr geehrter Herr Y</span>", firstLine) _
  .Replace( _
   "<span lang=FR style='mso-bidi-font-family:""xxxx Type Light"";background:lightgrey;mso-highlight:lightgrey;mso-ansi-language:FR'>Madame </span><span lang=FR style='mso-bidi-font-family:""XXXX Type Light"";mso-ansi-language:FR'>, / <span style='background:lightgrey;mso-highlight:lightgrey'>Monsieur</span>,</span>", firstLine) _
  .Replace( _
   "<span lang=IT style='mso-bidi-font-family:""xxxx Type Light"";background:lightgrey;mso-highlight:lightgrey;mso-ansi-language:IT'>Gentile signora X</span><span lang=IT style='mso-bidi-font-family:""xxxx Type Light"";mso-ansi-language:IT'> / <span style='background:lightgrey;mso-highlight:lightgrey'>Egregio signor Y</span></span>", firstLine)

If(itMailInside.Length > 1)
  myItem.HTMLBody = myItem.HTMLBody _
  .Replace( _
   "<span style='background:lightgrey;mso-highlight:lightgrey'>tenuta</span> / <span style='background:lightgrey;mso-highlight:lightgrey'>tenuto</span>", itMailInside)
 End If

myItem.Send()
 mailSent = True
 mailSent = False
 If myItem Is Nothing
 Else
  myItem.Close(Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.OlInspectorClose.olDiscard)
 End If
Catch ex as Exception

End try

Andre Koepplin
Business Process Analyst
Wroclaw

Instead of myItem.From, try myItem.SentOnBehalfOfName .

Ami Barrett
Lead RPA Software Developer
Solai & Cameron
America/Chicago

Hi Ami - thanks for this, it worked for me too which is great and helped me resolve an urgent issue! I was wondering, is there a way to get confirmation that the email did actually send? I inputted an address incorrectly and the action completed fine but it was not actually received but it wasn't flagged at all within BP as an exception or an error?

Sophie Katherine Smith
HR Systems, Data and Quality Assurance Manager
Arup
Europe/London

Hey, Sophie - 
Typically, if an invalid address is specified, Outlook will still successfully send the message. In cases like this, the postmaster/daemon would handle the invalid recipient and send back a message stating that the destination would be invalid. I would think the only way to validate programmatically, is to check for a bounced e-mail in the inbox.

Ami Barrett
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism
Plano, TX

ah ok yes good point - thanks!

Sophie Katherine Smith
HR Systems, Data and Quality Assurance Manager
Arup
Europe/London