Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to spy a dropdown menu

AnaGonzalez_Can
Level 2
i'm trying to spy this dropdown menu:

26180.png

but when i spy it i can't seem to find the option HTML box as recommended.

26181.png

even if i try 'List' i cant seem make to make it work.

any tips?

------------------------------
Ana Gonzalez Canto
1 REPLY 1

bruce.liu
Staff
Staff
Hi Ana,

HTML elements may behave very differently depending on the way they are created in the first place. Some may resemble a real HTML control but it is actually a completely different control at the backend.

In your example, it can be a case where the list is dynamically populated after you have clicked the dropdown list control, whereas a standard HTML list control has its value pre-populated ready to be picked. If your web application comes under the former, you must look at having the bot follow exactly what you as a human would do before the list can be read. This may involve interact with the control so it can display the list, then read from it.

Another possibility is that the list values are populated in an unconventional format, i.e. the values are available as HTML but are not stored as standard list. If this is the case, you will likely have to devise your own ways to work with it.

If you are familiar with the browser developer mode and HTML, I would advise you to take a inspect the control and HTML structure behind before interacting with it. This should give you a good idea what you are dealing with so you can make a conscious call how you would approach it.

Hope this helps.

Bruce Liu
Senior Product Consultant, Professional Services
Blue Prism
Australia/Sydney