cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other way than HVD, Virtual Desktop to run robots?

Van_Grunderbeec
Level 2
Hello, We use HVD (Host virtual desktop) with windows 7 32 bits to run the robots with the BluePrism agent install on it. Can we use other technologies or ways to run robots? There is also the VMware virtual desktop that exist. Can we run also robots on Linux? Can we run multiple robots on 1 machine? As we have more than 100 robots that run on more than 100 HVD, we would like to look for other possibilities.   Thanks in advance  
3 REPLIES 3

BenKirimlidis
Level 7
Hi To the best of my knowledge: Can we use other technologies or ways to run robots? Robots must be started in the BLue Prism control by a human user or by a scheduler.  I have heard about people using Blue Prism to spy the Blue Prism application...but that seems recursive and unneccessary.  Can we run also robots on Linux? Windows only. Can we run multiple robots on 1 machine? Only 1 robotic process can run on a resource at a time.  You can have many different robots run processes one after another on the same resource.  But if you try to run att he same time from the control room you will get a notification that reads ""X is too busy to run that process"".  Even if you have multiple control rooms comminicating to different instances of the listener on the resource, the conflicting instructions owuld probably end up interfering with one another.  I am not even sure if it is possible to run multiple instances of the listener on different ports.  We run 3 or 4 different robotic processes on the same resources throughout the day with dedicated Windows credentials for each.  

Hi, let me add some more information Can we use other technologies or ways to run robots? It is not clear to me what you are looking for. Other ways to run robots - from windows scheduler, through HTTP.   There is also the VMware virtual desktop that exist. You can run it within VMWare too. Can we run also robots on Linux? Ha, ha, yes, as long as you run virtual box (or any virtualization technology) with Windows OS within Linux ;), Can we run multiple robots on 1 machine? Well, actually you can but it requires more thinking and deeper knowledge of combination background, foreground, exclusive options when running Business Objects and Processes. I always ask what would be the benefit (I can hear you - lower number of machines to take care of) because you would need carefully consider which processes can run in parallel on one machine and do not conflict between each other - stealing focus, keyboard, etc.

BenKirimlidis
Level 7
@zdenek Cheeky!!! Windows only!!! Running VMs in linux is cheating!  =D But you are TECHNICALLY more correct than me so I award you 10 internets