cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out Of Memory Exception

Vishnu_DeepthiC
Level 2
Hi,

I am getting out of memory exception while trying to retrieve data from excel using OLEDB object. Excel has more than 2 lakhs plus rows and 26 columns. Could you please suggest the best approach to avoid this exception or please suggest the alternate approaches to read data from huge volume excels.

Thanks IN advance.

------------------------------
Vishnu Deepthi Chintala
Technology Analyst
Infosys
UTC
6 REPLIES 6

NicholasZejdlik
Level 9
I would look into limiting the number of rows you're retrieving at one time. You could use a range when you specify the sheet in the OLEDB query -- I believe it's something like Select * From Sheet1$A1:Z500. You could then process that particular chunk, and then increment the rows numbers to A501:Z1000 and so on.

Nicholas Zejdlik
RPA Developer

Hi Vishnu,

Are you able to open the excel manually without getting the excel hanged?
If yes, then use Excel VBO only to modify/transform the data since the excel VBO behaves exactly same as tasks being performed manually. If the excel is getting hanged and you are not able to fetch the data then you can opt for OLEDB approach.

Ritansh Jatwani
Consultant
EY
Asia/Kolkata

AndreyKudinov
Level 10
With 200k rows and 26 columns you most likely won't be able to get that data into blueprism collection all at once. And even if you could, most actions involving that collection will get OOM exception either way. So that leaves a question what are you going to do with that data? Do you really need it all at once? Consider processing it in batches if you can.

Andrey Kudinov
Project Manager
MobileTelesystems PJSC
Europe/Moscow

As Andrey Says,
Based on the amount of rows and columns, handle it with collections will result in Out of Memory exception.

Some alternatives could be:

If you want to make a file, log or something like that:
- You could modify the OLEDB VBO in order that instead of allocating the rows inside a collection, writhe them inside a file,

If you need to load it into Work queue
- You could try the approach of using LIMIT inside you QUERY, to get a few rows, load them in the WQ, then iterate thouhg the registers using SKIP inside you QUERY
- Traverse the excel file using MS Excel VBO and navigate thorugh the file, by certain amount of rows.

If you have more doubts, feel free to contact me, and i could help you.

Miguel Carrillo

Hi,
I am having the similar kind of issue.

Getting the API response in collection. Collection has nested collection(Data<list<JSON:Array). something like below screenshot.
JSON:Array will be having more than 20k records.

Please help me on that.

26188.png

26189.png

Bhawana Daultani

@BhawanaDaultani
If you can process records separately, then you can probably write some code to return individual records and work with it, although likely painfully slow
If you need to work with a whole dataset at once​ for some reason, e.g. you need to pull some stats from it, then try doing whole thing in a code stage to avoid blueprism collections overhead or use external tools. 

It doesn't look like we are getting Blueprism with 64 bit core before Half life 3 🙂

Andrey Kudinov
Project Manager
MobileTelesystems PJSC
Europe/Moscow