cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF/A format

Pimvan_den_Berg
Level 3
We have a robot process which handles PDF files and uploads them to a webapplication.
The application owner had asked us if it is possible to upload the PDF's in PDF/A format because the file size is smaller.

I've looked at the PDF Toolkit but couldn't find anything suitable for this situation.
I can always spy the Adobe Pro application Save As.. option but maybe there is a better solution available. Perhaps with the use of a codestage?
2 REPLIES 2

ewilson
Staff
Staff
Hello @Pim van den Berg,

What exactly are you trying to do with the PDFs? Do you know which specific release of the PDF/A standard (i.e. PDF/A-1, PDF/A-2, PDF/A-3, or PDF/A-4)? If it's PDF/A-1, you'll probably be fine using most of the PDF related connectors on the DX. If it's any of the later releases of PDF/A you may encounter issues with any of the connectors that use opensource PDF libraries like iTextSharp or PdfSharp. In that case, you're best bet is to probably work with the PDF Toolkit connector as it's based on Adobe's PDF SDK. The downside to it is that it uses Adobe's Document Cloud. They charge a small fee for the service (there is a developer trial available that includes something like 2,000 free pages I believe).

If all you need to do is have the Digital Worker upload the PDF file to a destination then the PDF specification doesn't matter. You can simply use the Utility - HTTP VBO's Http Request Multipart action to do that.

Cheers,
Eric​

Pimvan_den_Berg
Level 3
Thanks for your quick reply Eric.

I found another thread which was very helpful. Our goal is to reduce the size of the PDF. Our idea was to save it as PDF/A, but the Compress option could work.
https://community.blueprism.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=145&MessageKey=157273f3-719b-457e-bef0-57cff1c9a26f&CommunityKey=3743dbaa-6766-4a4d-b7ed-9a98b6b1dd01&tab=dig...

We will investigate further.