cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename Data Item and refresh in dependencies

ChristopherRoja
Level 2
Hello Community, 

I would like to know if there is any easy and quick way to rename a Data Item and automatically have all the places where it is used with the new name. 

For example If a have a Data Item that is used in some actions inside my process/object, and for a reason I would like it to have a different Name, is it possible to perform like a rename that updates it in all the actions where is used. To give you guys an insight, I had a collection where I take several values to input into a system, I change it's name and suddenly I got like 48 errors in my process (this is only used in one page).

This is especially useful if I have a global Data Item and I decide to change its name along the way.

Thanks,

------------------------------
Christopher Rojas
2 REPLIES 2

VivekGoel
Level 10
Hi Chris,

It's a nice point and a useful suggestion to have this functionality incorporated into Blue prism. 
The only way I do it is, To export the process as XML, Open it it notepad++ and then replace the data item name with the new name -->FInally import this process back. 
However, this gives me a lot of headache as well when I have data item names such as data1, data12, data123, data1234 . In this case, if I replace data1 with xyz, it makes all the dataitems name to change as xyz, xyz2, xyz23, xyz234 and so on.

So Caution and Care is required while following this approach.

Vivek Goel
"If you like this post, please press the "Recommend" Button.

DaveMorris
Level 14
As Vivek said, it's a much needed feature. I also use the XML to do this kind of replacement. As he said, you'll want to be very careful when doing this. The only thing I want to add is that you can copy a selected set of stage and paste into Notepad to do find/replace or an entire page or whatever. This would allow you to limit the scope of where you are replacing. If you do the entire process or object, then you may end up replacing the data item names across the entire component. If that's what you want, then that's the best option for you. I would verify that your data item name is completely unique first though.

Dave Morris
3Ci @ Southern Company
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA