cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Automatons on Run-time Resources

ManasJena
Level 6
Hi All,

If a Runtime Resource is already running a process and I drop few more process to run on top of that . Is it a Fisrt in and First Out basis execution ?

Please suggest .

Thanks !
Manas

------------------------------
Manas Jena
Sr Analyst
ZimmerBiomet
America/New_York
10 REPLIES 10

AmiBarrett
Level 12
If a resource is currently running a process, it generally rejects another process being run against it unless you manually request it from the control room.

Be aware that a process can be in Pending in certain scenarios. This will take up one of your license slots, even though the requested process isn't running yet.

Ami Barrett
Lead RPA Software Developer
Solai & Cameron
America/Chicago

​Thanks ! Ami

Tested this in Control room. While a process is running on a runtime resource and I dropped another process it says "The resource is too busy to run that process". It does maintain a queue rather rejects the process to run.

I had a use case where business users will trigger a process on demand basis. I was thinking to provide them controller access and they will trigger as and when needed.
Seems that won't work.

Manas Jena
Sr Analyst
ZimmerBiomet
America/New_York

If the process are only using objects which are "Background" objects, then you can run multiple processes on the same Runtime Resource.
How it exactly executes I'm not sure. I did some testing when I exposed a Web Service which were only using "Background" objects, I created like 10 sessions at the same time through SoapUI. It took a really long time for the Runtime Resource to finish even one process (whilst running it alone it took ~10-20 seconds) and I could see that last stage ran were changing all the time in all the 10 sessions. Perhaps it does one stage/action in the first process, then it does one stage/action in the second process and so forth? This is of course just a speculation.. Anyone from Blue Prism can provide more details about how the sessions are executed?

EDIT: One way to deal with the process being completed one at the time is to have the first step of the process to be an "Environment Lock", that way no other session will run at the same time.

/Joakim

Joakim Eklund
Senior RPA Developer
Swedbank AB
Europe/Stockholm

Thanks ! Joakim

It seems we don't have a que concept in product yet. If the resource is busy running a process it won't take another one .

Regards,
Manas

Manas Jena
Sr Analyst
ZimmerBiomet
America/New_York

If the running process has the correct Run Mode (determined by the objects it uses) and the license limitation is not reached, then the resource can run another process (that also keeps within the Run Mode and license rules). For example, a resource already running a Background process could run another Background process.

But there is no 'process queuing' concept where a busy resource will run the next process when it's next able. You can only do that with the Scheduler or with some sort of bespoke 'master/slave' logic, where the master watches until the slave resource is idle and then assigns it the next process to run.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

Hi John,

I have a resource running an automation in background while I did a drag and drop to run another process on same resource it trowed a message saying "Te resource is too busy to run this process" . 

Thanks !
Manas

Manas Jena
Sr Analyst
ZimmerBiomet
America/New_York

Manas, this means that either one or both of the processes which you intend to run at the same time use business object(s) which doesn't have or isn't able to have the correct run modes. The business object(s) which are used in the processes must be either "Foreground" or "Background" run mode, though if it's "Foreground" it means that both processes can't use the same business object(s). If you want to be able to run the processes at the same time all business objects you need to make the necessary changes in all the business objects which the processes uses. I've provided a screenshot where you can find the run mode of a business object and change it

/Joakim
19985.png

Joakim Eklund
Senior RPA Developer
Swedbank AB
Europe/Stockholm

Just to echo Joakim, all Run Modes of all processes need to be in agreement.

1 background running + n new background = OK
1 background running + 1 new foreground = OK
1 foreground running + n new background = OK

1 foreground running + 1 new foreground = Not OK
1 foreground running + 1 new exclusive = Not OK
1 exclusive running + anything = Not OK

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

Anonymous