cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send Email with URL that expires after x amount of time

LisaMcCracken1
Level 3
Hi,

One of our processes requires an email to be sent to the customer with a URL to a form within our customer portal that expires after 30 days. Is this possible? 

The URL is a general URL (the same for everyone) so from my understanding if we make the URL expire it will expire for every user trying to access it. Can Blue Prism generate a unique URL for every email sent that will expire 30 days after it's sent?

I have a feeling it's not as simple as that and will require in-depth IT knowledge.

Thanks for reading!

------------------------------
Lisa Morris
Process Automation Officer
2 BEST ANSWERS

Best Answers

Hi Shashank,

Thank you for your reply, As I work for a local government I'm limited in what applications I can have/download, We have access to Microsoft forms which could work. I'll need to contact our internal IT for more advice.

Lisa Morris
Renfrewshire Council
Europe/London

View answer in original post

Ask your IT for a customer portal feature that would let you generate urls that would expire on a set date. That would be a most straighforward solution and likely not that hard to implement. Most simple option is just putting current or expiration date in url and checking if it expired when user visits that form, but user might just change URL if date is clearly there. More secure options would be obfuscating dates or generating personalized URL for each mail and storing it with expiration date in database.

In the end, it doesnt matter if bot is sending email or a human - your current portal does not have that option atm.
3rd party forms is also an option like Shashank suggested, but I expect there might be other issues. 
You can also use some url shortener that lets you expire urls, like this one: https://short.io/features/link-expiration if you need solution quick.

Instead of asking IT specifically about MS forms, I would just tell them your requirements and let them propose best solution.

Andrey Kudinov
Project Manager
MobileTelesystems PJSC
Europe/Moscow

View answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi Lisa,

The URL will ideally be generated by another application. For example, Google Forms or Jot Forms. Here you could have a form which would expire after a certain date or you could schedule a bot to disable/delete the form after every 30 days.
Is there an existing application which you are planning to integrate which has the capability to create forms?

Shashank Kumar
DX Integrations Partner Consultant
Blue Prism
Singapore
+6581326707

Hi Shashank,

Thank you for your reply, As I work for a local government I'm limited in what applications I can have/download, We have access to Microsoft forms which could work. I'll need to contact our internal IT for more advice.

Lisa Morris
Renfrewshire Council
Europe/London

Ask your IT for a customer portal feature that would let you generate urls that would expire on a set date. That would be a most straighforward solution and likely not that hard to implement. Most simple option is just putting current or expiration date in url and checking if it expired when user visits that form, but user might just change URL if date is clearly there. More secure options would be obfuscating dates or generating personalized URL for each mail and storing it with expiration date in database.

In the end, it doesnt matter if bot is sending email or a human - your current portal does not have that option atm.
3rd party forms is also an option like Shashank suggested, but I expect there might be other issues. 
You can also use some url shortener that lets you expire urls, like this one: https://short.io/features/link-expiration if you need solution quick.

Instead of asking IT specifically about MS forms, I would just tell them your requirements and let them propose best solution.

Andrey Kudinov
Project Manager
MobileTelesystems PJSC
Europe/Moscow

Hi Andrey,

Thank you for your reply. I have contacted our internal IT to ask for the best solution with what we have available in house.

Lisa Morris
Europe/London