cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should some things be shown as errors, rather than a warning?

ChrisCutting
Level 4

We got a few exceptions and terminations recently as I had missed a step when building a new process.

In Work Queues > Add to Queue most of the parameters are ultimately optional, the action will work and the item be added to the queue for BP to process.

Unfortunately I had missed the Queue Name, and process validation did not catch this as an error, instead reporting it as a warning. In this action the Queue Name and Data Collection MUST be present, or the action won't work, causing the process to error.

As this will cause an error at runtime, shouldn't these two parameters show as errors in the process validation checks? We are using BP V6.9, so this may have been adjusted in later versions.

15839.png

------------------------------
Chris Cutting
Real Time Development Consultant
BT
Europe/London
2 REPLIES 2

Neel1
MVP

hello Chris Cutting -  as per my understanding - Missing input and output in VBO are tagged as warning. if it is error then number of errors count will increase multifold as developers will use hundred of action in their code and for all input and output , You can not have a value assigned to it.  some of them are blank in many of the VBO.

Neeraj Kumar
Technical Architect

Thanks for the comment Neeraj. I agree that warning is the best level of response to most missing input / output scenarios.

My suggestion is that BP could improve this, particularly for the in-built VBO's. If a missing input means that the action has no chance to be successful, then it would be helpful to flag this as an Error in the process validation.

We could even go a step further and have an option on VBO inputs to tag them as mandatory. That would allow us to build our own objects with protection included that forces them to be used in the correct way.

What do others think?

Chris Cutting
Real Time Development Consultant
BT
Europe/London