cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spying Colours with Region Mode

JessBingham
Level 2
Hi Everyone,

I'm super inexperienced and have just started with BP. I am trying to spy a region with a green background and white font. When I try to highlight the region it says:
28548.png
Then I change it from Image to Co-ordinates and it won't spy in the right area:

28549.png
Does anyone have an easy fix for getting colours to be identified or any tutorials explaining how to do it properly? I have read something about hex codes and I can put that in the input in a wait stage but wouldn't the correct place need to be spied first?

Thank you!

------------------------------
Jesse
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Hi Jesse, welcome. When the red highlight rectangle is offset, often the reason is because of some interfering zoom/magnification setting - so check that the browser and Windows itself are both on 100%.

The other thing to appreciate with regions and Surface Automation, is that if the target is obscured by another window, is minimised or just not visible for whatever reason, it's not going to work. Apologies if that is super obvious, but sometimes that penny doesn't immediately drop when you're starting out, particularly if it's your own BP diagram that's getting in the way.

Another important concept is to understand how BP finds a region. A region is the child of a Win32 element, and BP seeks the parent before the child. So if the parent can't be identified or there is a mismatch, then it's unlikely that the region will be found. So with that in mind, be conscious of which Win32 element you are CTRL clicking to initiate the region editor.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

View answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

GauravDhiman
Level 5
Hi Jess,
Trust you are well,
I think you are doing BP assignment,
-First of all try spying this with AA mode and create dynamic text attribute in the attributes window of the Application modellor
-If working with region mode ,edit the match color attribute to around value of 60-80,colors do not match 100%,so change the match color property to lower values as AI technology is very accurate and will try to match all pixels,so BP provides calibration feature to overcome this in region mode settings,

-Try using region mode for validating ,avoid region mode to get values and only use it with PDF data or if  all other spy modes fail
-You can very easily spy this element with HTML and AA mode,only thing is to make some minor tweaks in attribute list.

Let us know if color match settings work for you.
regards 

Gaurav

Gaurav Dhiman
RPA developer,ROM Architect
Melbourne,VIC,Australia
0413 930 960
Gaurav Dhiman RPA developer,ROM Architect Melbourne,VIC,Australia 0413 930 960

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Hi Jesse, welcome. When the red highlight rectangle is offset, often the reason is because of some interfering zoom/magnification setting - so check that the browser and Windows itself are both on 100%.

The other thing to appreciate with regions and Surface Automation, is that if the target is obscured by another window, is minimised or just not visible for whatever reason, it's not going to work. Apologies if that is super obvious, but sometimes that penny doesn't immediately drop when you're starting out, particularly if it's your own BP diagram that's getting in the way.

Another important concept is to understand how BP finds a region. A region is the child of a Win32 element, and BP seeks the parent before the child. So if the parent can't be identified or there is a mismatch, then it's unlikely that the region will be found. So with that in mind, be conscious of which Win32 element you are CTRL clicking to initiate the region editor.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

Hi John,

Sorry for the late reply but many thanks for your info. Some things that are obvious now aren't at the beginning! Well good news was I didn't need region mode, it worked with AA. I swear I tried it but didn't work until I logged out then back in. All good passed the exam and now studying for the AD01. Any tips for new players?

Thanks

Jesse.

Jess

Hi Gaurav,

Yes you were right it worked easy with AA instead. I feel there are steps to how intricate you need to be. The harder to spy the more attributes you need. Anyway passed the exam and course and onto do the AD01. Got any pointers?

Thanks

Jesse.

Jess