cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminate a Mainframe Application

EricLiu
Level 5
Hi, I have an mainframe application to spy. It is using a SSH client and connect to a host. Working with it has been fine, but when I finish the operations and attempt to terminate the application in a navigation stage, it does not work properly. In Blue Prism, the application is detached. However, in Windows it is still there. One work around I can think of is to use Set Cursor Position to click the "X" on the top right corner, then the process can run to END. Is this the only work around? I do not feel comfortable doing this.  
4 REPLIES 4

Hi, EricLiuFIC, I don't understand why you feel uncomfortable as it is completely fine closing the application this way. When you close it this way it is ""nicer"" to the application as it can close or background processes. If you use Terminate it is similar to issuing Kill command (even though it does not work as the application is still running). The other ""nice"" option could be to use shortcut keys and go to File menu option and choose Close or Exit or whatever options is there.  

Clicking the cross icon is definitely one alternative. Is there any other option using any Utilities to close applications that continue to run in Windows background after using the Terminate action?

------------------------------
Aarti Bansal
Automation Associate
S&P GMI
Indian/Chagos

Hi, I suggest please stick to the same approach how you are doing it manually. If you are not comfortable with using command X, use other options which exist for logging of mainfrmae ( like Logoff command)  and once u are logged off, u can close the window by exit option in files or any other way.
Safe log off from application is necessary so that it will end the current user session.

Narayan Shrawagi
Senior Consultant
T systems India private limited
Europe/London
Narayan

MandarBrahme
Level 2
Hi,
You can take the MainFrame application window as the main object while spying. Then add that window in the navigation you would get below options
Attach
Detach
Global Send Keys
Hide windows
Launch
and .... Terminate
Now use terminate as selected option and it does the trick of closing your application gracefully. 🙂

Mandar Brahme
Infrastructure Manager
Cognizant Technology Solutions
Asia/Kolkata