cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traverse through undefined folder structure

ParnabSinha_Cho
Level 5
Hi Community Members,

I am working on a process which is intended to traverse through folder structure and find word files placed in them and make some changes to them. The issue is every time there is a new folder structure so I can not specify at the start that under how many sub folders the word file will be present. Any idea how can I traverse through folders and sub folders to find the file without know how the folder structure is?

Thanks in Advance...
Parnab

------------------------------
Parnab Sinha Choudhury
RPA Developer / Business Analyst
Parnab Sinha Choudhury RPA Developer / Business Analyst
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

ewilson
Staff
Staff
Hi @ParnabSinha_Cho,

We've just pushed an update to the Utility - File Management VBO to the Digital Exchange. The new version (v10.2) now includes an action called File Search. You can use this action to search for files that match a specific criteria. It also includes an input flag that specifies whether sub-folders should be searched too. Output from the action will be a Collection that contains a list of files that matched the search criteria (fully qualified path and filename).

You can find the latest version of the VBO at the link below:

https://digitalexchange.blueprism.com/dx/entry/3439/solution/utility---file-management

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SteveBoggs
Staff
Staff
Hi Parnab,

Hopefully other Community members can share their expertise on this with a real-world example or with more detail than my suggestion here.

Theoretically it should be possible to use the File Management Utility VBO's 'Get Folders' action to get the folder data into a collection, then implement some logic to loop through the folders collection until a key word (as part of an established naming convention) is located. Then, use the 'Get Files' action to return the metadata for the files in the located folder as a collection, and loop through this collection until the desired file name is found.

Steve Boggs
Senior Product Support Engineer
Blue Prism
Austin, TX

ewilson
Staff
Staff
Hi @ParnabSinha_Cho,

We've just pushed an update to the Utility - File Management VBO to the Digital Exchange. The new version (v10.2) now includes an action called File Search. You can use this action to search for files that match a specific criteria. It also includes an input flag that specifies whether sub-folders should be searched too. Output from the action will be a Collection that contains a list of files that matched the search criteria (fully qualified path and filename).

You can find the latest version of the VBO at the link below:

https://digitalexchange.blueprism.com/dx/entry/3439/solution/utility---file-management

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

Thanks Eric... Hopefully this will work, I was looking into another offering in Blueprism but having it as a part of File Management VBO will make it easier to manage, I will share my experience upon using.

Parnab Sinha Choudhury
RPA Developer / Business Analyst
Parnab Sinha Choudhury RPA Developer / Business Analyst