cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tree Item Check Box status read issue

Walter.Koller
Level 11
I am trying to automate Blue Prism, which is necessary in our multi team environment to avoid spending half a person maintaining permissions.

So I am spying the Permissions window next to Roles in System / Security / User Roles.
Everything works perfectly fine but I cannot read the status of the check box of the permissions in the tree view.
I tried AA and UIA but none of them seem to have any attribute saying if an item is checked or not. 
When using Read Action with Get Checked (it should return a flag), I get following error:
Internal : Failed to perform step 1 in Read Stage 'Read Permission value' on page 'System - User Roles extract' - Unable to find a valid pattern - required: TogglePattern
Using the same Read Action but changing Get Checked to eg Get Name works perfectly fine, so no issue with the element or the usage of the element in general.

Any hints on how to work with tree view check boxes is much appreciated.

Thanks

------------------------------
Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Erste Group IT International GmbH
Europe/Vienna
10 REPLIES 10

david.l.morris
Level 14
I get the same error you do, and I don't see an easy way to determine if the boxes are checked without using Surface Automation.

Have you used Surface Automation before in BP 6? Actually, even BP 5 would do this well. The fact that Blue Prism's UI is not very dynamic makes it a good candidate. You could use the technique of determining whether the region inside each box is or is not a solid color. I've done this a couple times before and it works reliably. You'd obviously want to take the same precautions as any other time you're using SA, such as turning off font smoothing, ensuring that your development occurs on the same resolution as on the runtime resource, and stuff like that.

Dave Morris
3Ci @ Southern Company
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

NarayanShrawagi
Level 6
Hi, Can you suggest what is the type of application? SAP,JAVA, Desktop?  As per your post , it seems problem with spying mode attributes, changing some attributes/spying mode might work.  Also in case u dont know, you can get detail explanation of various .Net methods by clicking "i" on any stage.

Ex.

Check box

A standard Windows check box

Supports the following actions:

Supports the following read actions:

Supports the following conditions:

Internal ID: CheckBox

Narayan Shrawagi
Senior Consultant
T systems India private limited
Europe/London
Narayan

Surface Automation would maybe work but I am not sure how complex it will be for a moving list, like the permission view in Blue Prism is (collapsed, open, left side parents, intended childs, ....)​.

Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Europe/Vienna

​Type of application is Blue Prism itself. Specifically those elements: "...spying the Permissions window next to Roles in System / Security / User Roles."
The element is identified as Tree View Item (UIA) and I can only change it to type UI Automation. Type Check Box is not available.

Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Europe/Vienna

Hi Walter

BP version 6.4 has integration with the Chrome browser. In this version you will be able to identify the different Check Boxes that you need, as a component of the web (Check Box Web). You need select well inside the box that symbolizes the Check Box, sometimes (as happened to us) you will have to mark a small box between the Check Box and the label that names it. Once identified, you can read them with the "Get Check State" property and save it in a Data Item as a "flag".

If it is very hard for you to change your browser because you are very advanced in the project, tell us what browser you are using to help you.

Att

Oslien Mesa
Developer
Elumini
America/Sao_Paulo

GopalBhaire
Level 10

Hi Walter,

You're talking about these permissions right

19103.png
I was able to spy them without any issues. I did get treenode sibiling and looped over those and read is checked. 
OR I've misinterpreted your question

Gopal Bhaire
Analyst
Accenture

​Many thanks for your reply and help.

I trying to automate Blue Prism full client, which is different to Browser automation.
We currently use IE but should be replaced soon by Chrome. Unfortunately I could not get Chrome automation working at all, as either BP refuses to spy elements or spied elements cannot be identified (highlighted) afterwards anymore. I didnt have the possibility to investigate further if it is related to our BP version 6.4 and/or browser add-in or that we use legacy mode of Chrome.

Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Europe/Vienna

Yes, this is exactly what I was trying to achieve, looping through permissions and reading their status.
Interesting it worked for you. I am in contact with support and provided a sample VBO to replicate the issue and they just confirmed again they have the same problem.
I am going to upload the sample VBO. 

Could you please upload the process/VBO that worked for you?

Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Europe/Vienna

I didn;t save originally so I went on and added a few Action in VBO you shared, Run the action 'Run This'

Any specific reason why you chose to spy in UI Mode?

Gopal Bhaire
Analyst
Accenture