cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trigger blue prism process when an Outllok email arrives

GunjanDhawan
Level 2
I want to trigger/start my process once i receive an email in Outlook with a particular subject How can this be achieved ? *Processes are ready..need help with the triggering part* I want this checking to be done outside BP & once that particular email is received, only then it'ld *trigger my BP process (through some bat/exe etc if possible)  
3 REPLIES 3

AmiBarrett
Level 12
With any OOB software, you still need a process to check for the mail to exist. There is no passive feature to configure Blue Prism to kick off a process with an e-mail trigger, such as you would with a schedule.   That being said, your inbox monitor process can send a command to AutomateC on a target runtime resource to kick off a process. Either way, you need to have a process built to monitor the box.   We got around this by developing a replacement piece of controller software that'll (among other things) send that AutomateC command as soon as it detects a message. So if you have a few months to commit to a project like that, you could also go that route.

KevinFinnegan
Level 2
Just a quick comment,,, I am not an expert in Outlook, but I believe it has the ability like Notes mail...to run a script when an email is delivered. This script could subsequently kick off ""trigger' an automation via automatec a Web Service call etc.. Regards, Kevin

Walter.Koller
Level 11
I think this question was already answered some time ago...

I can think of those options:
- Create VB script to listen on the mail arrives in inbox event
- Create a rule for incoming mails that will execute a script or program
The rule approach would need tweaked security settings:
How to control the rule actions to start an application or run a macro in Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2013 (microsoft.com)

When using O365 there might also be the option to use Power Automate. At least in theory, I didn't check myself.

Those would be examples of 'passively' triggering Blue Prism.

Like Ami already mentioned, a valid option would be to create a framework to orchestrate BP processes, accepting several types of trigger events. 
If your environment is heterogeneous, using mail triggers (Exchange, SMTP, several mailboxes), files (if exist, by content) from several sources, possibly at once, building your own framework is very likely what solves those challenges. 

If it is only to find a quick solution for very few processes, you could also try to write a simple script (in VB or any other language that is able to connect to Office apps) that runs in the background, looks for mails, waits 5 minutes and start over again. Quick & dirty but it would work with little efforts.

And of course there is the option to create a BP processes that does nothing but pulling for mails and start other processes. But this would consume a license and would not add any business value.

------------------------------
Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Erste Digital / Erste Group Bank
Europe/Vienna
------------------------------