cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT NOTIFICATION RELATED TO USE OF CHROME AND EDGE BROWSERS AS PART OF BLUE PRISM PRA AUTOMATIONS

CharlotteK
Staff
Staff

This information was last updated on 6th of December 2022

Google (Chrome) and Microsoft (Edge) have announced that they are changing the way third-party browser extensions are supported. In June 2023, any browser extension that uses their Manifest V2 (MV2) standard will no longer operate unless action is taken.   

In response to this announcement, SS&C Blue Prism has created a new browser extension that supports Manifest V3 (MV3) for it's RPA product.  

It is recommended that customers who currently use either of these browsers as part of their automations adopt a MV3 compatible solution for use with SS&C Blue Prism by June 2023 and test their automations as part of that adoption/upgrade process.

In addition, customers should be aware that with MV3, Google (and Microsoft) have removed the capability to perform JavaScript invocation or injection. Customers who utilize that capability must either modify their automations to overcome the vendor-imposed restrictions or adopt the Blue Prism Browser Automation Agent solution, which offers continued support for this functionality. 

To help our community of users identify if they are impacted by this announcement - our product team has provided a utility that will determine if you are affected by this issue. We recommend that you run this utility, which can be found here https://digitalexchange.blueprism.com/dx/entry/3439/solution/manifest-v3-impact-assessment-utility

If the utility identifies you are affected (i.e., Using Chrome or Edge / utilizing the JavaScript insert/invoke function) please make sure your organization completes the survey sent to them by their account or customer success manager.

Note: this survey is intended for end-users of  SS&C Blue Prism RPA only. If you haven't received this survey and feel that you should have, please contact your SS&C Blue Prism representative. Information for SS&C Blue Prism partners is available on the Connect Partner Portal.

Our upcoming releases (7.1 and 6.10.5) will contain Browser Extension support for Manifest V3. 

[Note: these versions will also support those customers who could not apply the January 2022 Microsoft security patch update. Visit FAQs. http://portal.blueprism.com/customer-support/support-center#/path/-Featured-Articles/1784860762/-Solution-Windows-updates-from-11th-January-2022-causing-authentication-issues-in-Blue-Prism.htm] 

Our communication regarding this event will evolve in the coming weeks and months. In the meanwhile, please find the latest information in our Knowledge Base FAQs. Support Center | Blue Prism Portal

[06/12/22 Addendum]: Please follow the below links for official communications and timelines from:
- Google
- Microsoft

#BluePrismNews
#InsideRPA
------------------------------
Charlotte Kennett
Director, Global Customer Marketing & Community
Blue Prism
Europe/London
------------------------------​​
67 REPLIES 67

All the guidance prior was in regards to using the Invoke Java Fragment actions, not that if a web element contained JavaScript that a click would not work,
I have some elements that no longer work but others still work so there isn't that consistancy with it either.

Are Blue Prism certain that this is due to the MV3 policy or is it that the latest browser extension (6.9 - 6.10 Manifest V3) hasn't got some other bugs in it?

James Gregory
RPA Developer
Europe/London

Do you have any informations when the 6.10.5 extension will be available at Chrome/Edge add-ons store?

Dominik Pełka
Europe/Warsaw

I believe they're changing how it works. Maybe a Blue Prism employee can confirm this, but I think it'll eventually no longer show in the Addon store when it is searched for. I may be completely wrong about that, and maybe it doesn't show for some other reason. However, look over Blue Prism's documentation here: Edge browser extension (blueprism.com)

That has a direct link to the 6.10.5 extension. I'll paste that link here as well: Blue Prism 6.10.5 Browser Extension - Microsoft Edge Addons

When I navigate there, I can see the extension and click the Get button. More importantly, there are CLI commands in the documentation I linked to first above, and there are registry settings that can be set to trigger the extension to install automatically.

Dave Morris
3Ci at Southern Company
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

Hi Dave

You are correct - further details can be found here for 6.10.5 - Chrome browser extension (blueprism.com) or here - Edge browser extension (blueprism.com)This link goes into some more detail on how the extensions are deployed and the URLs for each v6 version.

Thanks!

Sam

Samantha Shaw
Global Head of Support Operations
Blue Prism Ltd
Europe/London

Walter.Koller
Level 11
I got several pieces of information on upcoming new versions of browser extensions and Browser Automation Agent (BAA)., planned for this year.

To my shame, I am don't fully understand the published roadmap:
Product Portfolio Roadmap and Release Plan | Blue Prism Portal

Blue Prism MV3 browser extensions for Blue Prism 6.5 to 6.10 (Released 30th September 2022)
... is this only related to BAA? Since BAA is not mentioned here at all but it says 'Provides an alternative MV2 sunset solution'.
... does this not include 7.0 extensions?

Blue Prism MV3 browser extensions for Blue Prism 6.4.2 to 6.4.5 and 7.0 to 7.1 (Expected November 2022)
... I guess this is also only related to BAA? Specifically to BAA 2.0?  Since BAA 2.0 is not mentioned on this page at all

Or is target browser the difference between those to lines? 
As Edge is only supported with 6.5 it may refer only to the first line and Chrome to the second line?! 

Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Erste Digital / Erste Group Bank
Europe/Vienna

Hi Walter,

Yes - both of these line items on the roadmap relate to the Browser Automation Agent specifically. You're the first person to point out that the roadmap item doesn't actually mention the BAA, which had slipped my notice until this point - I'll get an update applied to specifically mention this.

In an attempt to clarify the situation, the BAA v1 release in September provided a new set of components that are deployed against Blue Prism Enterprise (BPE) and browser extensions for use with:

• Google Chrome and Blue Prism Enterprise versions 6.5 - 6.10 (including all patch releases of those series)
  • Microsoft Edge and Blue Prism Enterprise versions 6.9-6.10 (including all patch releases of those series)
    • Note: Blue Prism Enterprise 6.8 allowed the automation of Microsoft Edge by loading the Chrome extension into the Edge browser - this is true of the new extensions as well and is mentioned in the browser compatibility matrix for MV3 extensions here.

The BAA v2 release which is expected in November will provide additional browser extensions for use with:
  • Google Chrome and Blue Prism Enterprise versions 6.4.2 - 6.4.5
  • Google Chrome and Blue Prism Enterprise versions 7.0 - 7.1
  • Microsoft Edge and Blue Prism Enterprise versions 7.0 - 7.1

Please feel free to ask if you have any additional questions.

Regards,
Rob

Robert Nicklin
Product Manager
Blue Prism
Warrington, England
Robert Nicklin Product Manager Blue Prism Warrington, England

Hi Robert,

I would request there must be a notice or guide or video for BAA. I was not aware of this at all. I came to know about BAA through this article only.

Amlan Sahoo
Senior RPA Consultant
WonderBotz
Regards,
Amlan Sahoo

Hello Amlan,

There have been various notices published on the subject of MV3 compatibility and Blue Prism Enterprise, both through the Customer Support Portal release announcement mechanism and through direct emails with key contacts at customer and partner organizations taken forward by our Customer Success team. These began back in March and have evolved over time to include note of the Browser Automation Agent as this became the path we decided to take forwards. I would suggest signing up for the portal release announcements if you've not done so already so that you're made aware as soon as the BAA v2 release becomes available.

In regard to guides, there are various materials already available on Blue Prism University and in the Blue Prism online documentation. Additionally, the BAA releases are detailed on the Product Roadmap as well as in a MV3 FAQ knowledge-based article on the Customer Support Portal that we have been keeping updated since this article was originally posted back in March 2022.

I'm quite happy to take on suggestions for additional material where needed - if you could review what's already available and clarify what else you would like to see covered, I can pick this up with our teams internally.

Regards,
Rob

Robert Nicklin
Product Manager
Blue Prism
Warrington, England
Robert Nicklin Product Manager Blue Prism Warrington, England

DebRatte
Level 3
Can you please list what products this will impact?  We use Chorus BPM 21.2.1.3 (aka AWD application).  Many of us are new to this Community Board (and it is honestly a bit overwhelming) trying to understand what pertains to our application.

Deb Ratte

Hi @DebRatte - we are circling back with the Chorus BPM product team to get clear information and guidance. As a rule of thumb, the content that you find under the Blue Prism Product section is very much focused on the RPA solution, vs. Chorus BPM.

We need to make the signaling clearer to avoid anyone getting overwhelmed and confused, and we will be making the updates to the community, and put in place new guidelines to better signpost customers as to which products are involved for which communications. 

Thank you for the feedback!

Charlotte Kennett
Sr. Director, Global Customer Experience
SS&C Blue Prism
Europe/London