cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View and Compare two different processes

Venkata_Pranav_
Level 6

Well, a mistake from my end, where I created two versions of a process. I want to compare two different processes side by side. Is there any way we could do this? 

Process A - Few changes
Process B - Different set of changes

I tried the following 
1. Tried to save Process B as Process A. But Blue Prism doesn't allow saving as a process name which already exists. 
2. Exported Process B and changed its name in XML, and file name to Process A. When I import it back into Blue Prism, it overwrites Process B, but not Process A (if it overwrites Process A, I can compare both the processes by right click View/Compare option)

Any thoughts/suggestions/hacks? 

------------------------------
Pranav
Pranav
6 REPLIES 6

sumire
Level 8
1. export processes as xml files
2. diff 2 files as text

This is much more cumbersome than using process comparison function, but better than nothing.

Mitsuko
Asia/Tokyo
Mitsuko
Asia/Tokyo

SiobhanClark
Level 2
​Hi Pranav,

Have you tried the compare function in BluePrism? You can compare any two versions of the same process ie: the last two versions or the 1st version vs the 4th version for example.

All you need to do to do this is select the two versions which you want to compare in the 'version history' view in studio, then right click and go to 'compare' in the menu. You can then view all your changes as highlighted to you by BluePrism. You can also view most actions, data items, calculation stages etc.

Hope that helps!

Siobhan.

Siobhan Clark
Senior RPA Developer
Edinburgh

DaveMorris
Level 14
When you edited the XML of Process B, did you remove the Preferred ID element (it's called something like that)? I don't remember if I've tried it specifically like that but to ensure that BP overwrites the correct one, you can just delete the Preferred ID and then it should use the name to compare only. Then you should be able to use View/Compare as you mentioned.

Also note that when comparing this way, there are some differences that are not reflected. It could have been updated since I last tested this, but I found that differences such as stage logging and other settings will not be shown when doing the compare. The only true way to see the exact differences is to do an XML compare. I usually do this with the Compare add-in in Notepad++.

Dave Morris
3Ci @ Southern Company
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

JeroenOosterhol
Level 4
You can also compare two different processes. If you press a Group in the studio, select two processes from the process list on the right and then right click -> Compare

Jeroen Oosterholt
Automation Designer
DHL
Maastricht

Wow, I've never noticed that before. Nice. @Venkata_Pranav_ I think Jeroen's answer is what you want.​

Dave Morris
3Ci @ Southern Company
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks @JeroenOosterhol 

Thank you all!

Pranav
Pranav