Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wait Make BP Unresponsive

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,

Need some help here.

Am doing a restart on a machine, so I have to wait for a given amount of time, i.e 2 minutes or so in order to achieve the rest of the steps required for my process.

During this waiting time, BP becomes unresponsive, so in Task Manager the tool will have the status ==> Not Responding.

I don't want this, just because other processes can not run on the same system anymore, because BP freezes, the window becomes grey etc.

The same status I've achieved with a C# code i.e System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(5000);

Can someone please advise on this very simple topic?

How can I have a generic waiting period of time, without the freeze?

Thank you in advance!

------------------------------
Cohen
RPA Developer

Romania

Cohen
RPA Developer

Romania
3 REPLIES 3

Mike__Lowe
Staff
Staff
Hi Cohen, 

Are you trying to restart the resource on which your Blue Prism process is running? If this is the case then the behaviour you're experiencing is not surprising. 

When you restart the resource Blue Prism will be terminated by the OS and that would result in the "Not Responding" status.

If a restart of the resource is really needed then a better approach would be to split your process into several separate processes.

1. Process 1 would carry out the first part of your business process and end when a restart is required
  2. Run a process to restart the resource
  3. Tell the scheduler to wait for 5 minutes or so for the restart to complete
  4. Use the Login process to login to the restarted resource
  5. Process 2 would complete the rest of your business process
The above would require the setup of Login Agent to allow for your resource to be automatically logged in. You can find more details around this on the Blue Prism Portal.

However I would really look to see if a restart in the middle of a process is really required.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Michael Lowe
Senior Consultant
Blue Prism
Europe/London

AmiBarrett
Level 12

@Mr Right​ - This has been around since I started using the product back in the version 4 days. We got around it by creating a similar action that performed .25s increment wait stages until it counted up to the desired value. Since it wasn't sleeping the entire time, this allowed other threads to process. It looked something like this:

1) Start
Input: Time (Number)

2) Wait
Condition: None
Time: .25s

3) Calculation: Time++
Value: [countedTime]+.25
Store in: [countedTime]

4) Decision
Condition: [countedTime]>=[Time]

5a) Decision = No, go to step 2

5b) Decision = Yes, go to End

Ami Barrett
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism
Plano, TX

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Ami! That did the trick. I've used 1s and was freezing BP, but seems 0.25 is the right answer!

Thank you again!

Cohen
RPA Developer

Romania