cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ways to Automate Fetching and working with Environment Variables - If any

swapnadeep_deb
Level 4

Hi all,

There's this uphill task (not an issue!) since always, where, to update a value in an environment variable you need to scroll through the entire screen, locate it and update it.

Suppose I have a member mail address being used in multiple environment variables for a number of processes and the member left the team now. Is there potentially a way to replace/update all the environment variables that has the address by using an action/code stage in a one time run process.

If not , don't we think atleast making Environment variables search using Values (v7.3 allows a filter using variable Name) also could make these cases easier to handle.

Just a thought for the product team! Please share insights

Swapnadeep Deb
RPA Developer
TCS
2 REPLIES 2

I agree. In these cases, using Excel-based configuration files is usually the best option, as it simplifies maintenance. Others also utilize JSON in an environment variable, which can make find and replace tasks easier.

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15

Agree - this might be one to add to the Product Ideas area.  I think adding better grouping and/or filters to the Environment Variable screen has been on the product to do list literally forever (although it may have dropped off the list and got lost down the back of the sofa at some point).  
Current best practice is to use naming conventions to order the list and make it easier to navigate,  but once you get to 100s of processes and 1000s of variables it becomes an unusable application control.