cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Dynamic field and what is it used for ?

NewStudent
Level 4
Hi Team,

Can anyone tell me the usage of Dynamic field created from Application Modeller and why is it used?

Thanks in advance

------------------------------
Aarthy A
2 REPLIES 2

diane.sanzone
Level 7
Hi Aarthy!

The best way to describe it is that the dynamic field is something that can change during runtime.  Using the dynamic option allows you to send different values in to that element definition through the object when you're running your bot.  For example, you might have an element that is a row in a table.  You spy the element as Row 0, but sometimes you need to interact with Row 1 (for example).  In the modeler, for the Attribute that indicates "Row 0".  You can't use Row * because that will match ALL rows in the table.  So you set it to "dynamic".  Now that attribute is not editable in the modeler because it doesn't really matter what it says there - you're going to "update" it at runtime.
When you go to interact with that element, you'll notice the ellipses under "parameters".  Click that, and now you can define what that attribute should be for that particular use of the element.  (In my example we need to find Row 1).  So you put an expression something like "Row "&[counter] where counter=1 (and that counter variable can be set to whatever you need just like any other counter or data item).  That element will now point to Row 1 in the table instead of the Row 0 that you initially spied.

I hope this makes sense.  I found that it was completely confusing to me until I found a situation where I could use it.  Since I started using it, I've also found situations where I needed to select a specific customer from a list on the screen and I was able to use the dynamic option to make that happen by setting the parameter to the customer's name. It has lots of applications.

Diane Sanzone

Just to add to Diane's excellent summary, when you tick an attribute by default you are saying 'this attribute is to be used to identify the element and this is the attribute value to always use'. But by selecting Dynamic you are saying 'this attribute is to be used to identify the element but I'll specify the value from the diagram every time I want to use this element'.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism