cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the recommended method for keeping a resource awake for an on-going process?

kevin_b_hall
Level 3
I apologize if this is covered somewhere in the documentation but I had a hard time finding it. For example, say a sub-process is running and waiting for work items to be loaded to the queue. A work item comes in to be processed but enough time has passed to where the screen is locked. What is the best method to address this? One possibility I see is to create an "unlock" business object action to unlock the screen. Another would be to have the on-going process do an action to keep the resource unlocked. Is it also possible for Active Queues to handle this? There didn't seem to be a lot of documentation on active queues and searching the forums it seems like people recommend against using it.
3 REPLIES 3

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Hi Kevin - it's a legitimate question, thinking about what happens when the process is not doing anything is important. The obvious answer is to disable the screen lock completely, and if you look in the infrastructure documentation you'll see it's a key recommendation of ours, along with fixing the screen resolution, disabling font smoothing etc. Login Agent is another option - it has the ability to unlock the screen. The least elegant solution is to keep the lock away by keeping the desktop active. For example, you can attach to explorer.exe and spy parts of the desktop. I've done this in the past to click the Windows start button to make the menu pop up every 30 seconds while waiting for queue items. It's crude but effective.

DexterWhelan1
Level 4
if inside your company you have an issue with setting group policy settings to not allow the machines to lock, there are applications out there that fulfil the task of keeping the screen awake like Don't Sleep for example. Just an alternate avenue to explore if the needs arises. Usually setting group policy is best solution as it allows better control over the machines

SaurabhSrivasta
Level 3
Is the appication ""Don't Sleep"" secured to be installed on clients Production Server?