cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's supposed to be "Assigned Resource Group" of Active Queue?

TetsujiJunicho
Level 9
Hi I've been trying set Active Queue, but nothing shows up in the "Assigned Resource Group" of Active Queue in System Manager? What's supposed to be "Assigned Resource Group" of Active Queue? How can I set up? Regards,
8 REPLIES 8

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15
You create resource groups within System-Resources-Management. The group contains all the resources you want to allocated to the queue. My recomendation would be to avoid active queues until some planned additional intelligence has been built into.

TetsujiJunicho
Level 9
Hi Denis Thanks for your replay. You mean pools for Resource Group? In that case, somehow my environment doesn't show any pools in the list of ""Assigned Resource Group"". Any idea?

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15
No - I don't mean pools (used for grouping resources in control room or for schedules), I mean groups - go to system-resources-management and right click on one of the resources and you will see a 'Create Group' option. Before you ask, I have no idea why the BP dev team decided to have groups and pools - it makes no sense to me either. As I mentioned before, my recommendation is to not touch active queues with a barge pole until it has been improved in a future version of the product.

TetsujiJunicho
Level 9
Hi Denis Thanks for your reply. I got it. Resource groups and resource pools are two different things. So, your recommendation is that to put multiple machines for a same process with work queue, correct?

LawrenceLee
Level 2
Denis, Have you been able to make an active queue work at all? I agree that this feature is not ready for production; I still wanted to try it. I manage to configure a queue to use a resource group. When scheduling the process, it randomly chooses one resource out of the group and assigns all queue cases to that one resource. I am yet to see some dynamic allocation / parallel redistribution.

LawrenceLee
Level 2
Denis, Have you been able to make an active queue work at all? I agree that this feature is not ready for production; I still wanted to try it. I manage to configure a queue to use a resource group. When scheduling the process, it randomly chooses one resource out of the group and assigns all queue cases to that one resource. I am yet to see some dynamic allocation / parallel redistribution.

LawrenceLee
Level 2
tjunicho, OK, after digging deep into the help files, this is what I have gathered. Essentially, Resource Pools, are redundant to Active Queues, in the way they are SUPPOSED to schedule workload. If you create a Resource Pool, you can schedule a process to run against that pool. Per documentation, BP should check the number of resources in the pool, and distribute the queue cases across available resources. I have not been able to make this work. Instead of distributing the load, all queue cases are assigned to a random available resource from the pool, even if more than one resource is available. On the other hand, Active Queues, provide you the same parallel distribution capabilities, and some more.. They offer statistical / timing measures (ETA's, etc.). To configure an active queue, forget Resource Pools exist. Under Management, create a new Resource Group and add the resources. Configure the queue and map it to the target process and Resource Group. Do not include the same resources in a Resource Pool, and do not add any Resource Pools into the Resource Group. This is because, the active queue controller, sees the pool as one resource. I have managed to run a process in parallel across two resources in available state and grouped in a Resource Group. That is, about half of the queue cases were processed by one resource - and another half by another, in parallel. Oddly, I haven't been able to run such a process from Session Management. The associated process runs, when you increase the 'Target Resources' field in the Active Queue -> ""your active queue name"" screen. Cheers, Naz

AVINASHSINGH
Level 2
@NAZ I made similar observations, but I it seems that I am only able to trigger the queue manually, by increasing the number of Targets. Is their any way that the queues automatically trigger whenever any entry is appended to the queue? Regards Avinash