cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work Multiple developer in single Object

arghya.b
Level 5
Hi,

I know that the multiple developer cant work on single object.But as workaround is there is any way to do that for speed up the development process.

Thanks

------------------------------
Arghya Bhattacharyya
RPA Developer
Infosys Ltd
Asia/Kolkata
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Yes there is definitely risk and extra work involved, so you need to weigh that against any time savings that could be achieved. My idea was as follows.

• Process ABC already uses Object 123
  • Dev2 makes a copy called Object123.1 and adds new pages to it.
  • If Dev2 needs to spy new elements, he creates a new branch in the application model and adds all new elements under it.
  • Dev2 makes sure not to amend any existing elements or pages.
  • To test his new object, DEV2 makes a new temporary 'test rig' process.
  • When ready, Dev2 uses copy&paste to transfer the new pages and elements back into the original object.
In my experience it's best to create multiple small objects in order to reduce the likelihood that two developers both need to make changes to the same object at the same time. This won't eliminate the problem but there's more chance Dev2 won't be stuck waiting for Dev1 to complete his work. It will also make testing and implementation easier to manage.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
The only option would be to take a copy and then merge back with the original afterwards using copy/paste. But if the 2 devs are want to work on the same page or elements in the model, then it's not possible.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

Thank you john..but if we take a copy of object then object name should be change ...so at the time of merging we have to change every reference in the process right ?it will be a huge work i think

Arghya Bhattacharyya
RPA Developer
Infosys Ltd
Asia/Kolkata

Yes there is definitely risk and extra work involved, so you need to weigh that against any time savings that could be achieved. My idea was as follows.

• Process ABC already uses Object 123
  • Dev2 makes a copy called Object123.1 and adds new pages to it.
  • If Dev2 needs to spy new elements, he creates a new branch in the application model and adds all new elements under it.
  • Dev2 makes sure not to amend any existing elements or pages.
  • To test his new object, DEV2 makes a new temporary 'test rig' process.
  • When ready, Dev2 uses copy&paste to transfer the new pages and elements back into the original object.
In my experience it's best to create multiple small objects in order to reduce the likelihood that two developers both need to make changes to the same object at the same time. This won't eliminate the problem but there's more chance Dev2 won't be stuck waiting for Dev1 to complete his work. It will also make testing and implementation easier to manage.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

Is it good to split the Application Modeller to each object (not using parent objects AM)?

Cause when there gonna be 5+ developers in a bigger application (for example an ERP system) it's a risk to copy every time right?

Or is it always best practice to have one AM for the whole application?

David Rubiano
Solution Consultant
Digital Workforce
Europe/Stockholm

Best practice would be to have a separate object for each "major screen" of the application - each with it's own model. The Object Design Guide talks about this: https://portal.blueprism.com/system/files/2018-02/Object%20Design%20Guide.pdf

John Tomkins
Senior Consultant
Blue Prism
Europe/London