cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Mark Exception" not generating a new Item ID

johwes
Level 4

Hi.

I have come across an issue and I can't seem to figure it out on my own, so hoping for some insights from you guys.

In our process template we have a page called "End item" that among other things takes care of the exception handling. When a system exception occurs we have three retries before manual handling kicks in. For each attempt the process will defer the item being handled. First attempt, 0 seconds, 2nd attempt 10 minutes and 3rd attempt 2 hours. It does this by generating a new item ID in the "Mark Exception" action, and then applying defer item to this new item ID while the "old" item ID is marked as exception. 

However, "Mark exception" does not generate a new item ID. It remains blank.

16574.png

16575.png
As you see in the below screenshot New Item ID remains blank. I have tried playing around with locking and not locking as well as writing "True" in the value field instead of using a data item. But it doesn't seem to make a difference. 

16576.png
Any ideas? This is driving me a little bit nuts...

------------------------------
Johanna Westlund
RPA developer
SB 1 Østfold Akershus
/Norway
5 REPLIES 5

harish.m
Level 12

HI Johanna Westlund,

Check Maximum Attempts setting in SYstem Tab>Workqueue> Select the workqueue you are testing> Change the Maximum Attempts from "1" to  "3" and test the Mark exception Action
16533.png

Make sure the precondition was met as highlighted below
16534.png

-----------------------
If I answered your query. Please mark it as the "Best Answer"

Harish M
Lead developer
America/New_York TX
----------------------- If I answered your query. Please mark it as the "Best Answer" [FirstName] [LastName] [Designation] [JobTitle] [City] [State] [Phone]

Hi Harish.

Thank you for your reply. 
Yes, Maximum Attempts is set to 3 for this work queue. The item IS retrieved using "Get next item" and the item is locked by the process.  I have tried setting the variable "Keep locked" to both True and False and I see no difference in the result. It doesn't generate a new item ID either way and the item is marked as an exception and no new item shows up in the queue.

16538.png 

Johanna Westlund
RPA developer
SpareBank 1 Østfold Akershus
/Norway

Hi Johanna, this may be a dumb question but are you certain the item has not already reached the maximum of 3 attempts? Another silly mistake that is easy to do is having duplicate data items for the item ID.

John Carter
Blue Prism

Hi @johwes  Have you kept the Retry flag as true? If yes, please check if the exception limits have been reached or not. Otherwise, it should work and I don't think Item ID ever changes it will remain the same even if you mark the exception and retry. I have tried in my Demo and it worked fine.

16551.png
16552.png16553.png
Amlan Sahoo
Senior RPA Consultant
WonderBotz

Regards,
Amlan Sahoo

Hi. Yes, retry Flag was set to true. This also happened to items that failed on the first attempt, so checked that. I also checked for duplicate Item ID data items. 

I just copied this same page from another part of the organization that uses the same process template into my process. There is no difference between the two that I can tell, but now it works so apparently there is SOMETHING. Drives me nuts not knowing what but hey, as long as it works. 

Thank for all your help, everyone.

Johanna Westlund
RPA developer
SpareBank 1 Østfold Akershus
/Norway