cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

read cell from collection-column as index

AviadBen_Zaquen
Level 2
I'm trying to read cell value from a collection. My code runs on Agent field loop, and all I need is to extract horizontally fields. So if the loop is now on Agent A I need to extract the department field. Seems like utility collection manipulation has only Read Collection Field action which works vertically (with row index)...which doesn't really help as I need an action that feeds  column name (department) as an index and field name as Agent (just sort of Vlookup)
ID Age department
Agent A 11 30 sales
Agent B 22 25 analytics
Agent C 33 50 marketing
Agent D 44 45 back office 
 many thanks

------------------------------
Aviad Ben Zaquen
2 REPLIES 2

AvinashRamkumar
Level 4

Hi Aviad, 

If you are looping through the collection, use [Collection.ColumnName] to get the corresponding value.
In your example when the the loop is in Agent A, use  [Agent.department] in your expression/decision stage to get the corresponding department value.

Example:

18277.png
Collection:
18278.png

Avinash Ramkumar
Intelligent Automation Tech Lead
ASB Bank Limited
Auckland

Hi Aviad,

If you do not have the field name available with you, you can perhaps extend the Collection Manipulation utility VBO and add a new action there. Set three input parameters along with the associated data items to hold the values, namely Input_Collection, RowIndex and ColumnIndex. Also, use assign a data item as "Value Read" and associate it with a data item and set it as Output Parameter.

Use a code stage with the inputs as Coll. RowIndex and ColumnIndex and map the data items. Also, set the output as Value_Read and map the data item as well  with the below code in place:

If RowIndex < 0 OrElse Coll.Rows.Count <= RowIndex Then
    Throw New ApplicationException("The supplied row index falls outside of the valid range.")
End If

If ColumnIndex < 0 OrElse Coll.Columns.Count <= RowIndex Then
    Throw New ApplicationException("The supplied column index falls outside of the valid range.")
End If

Dim col As DataColumn = Coll.Columns(CInt(ColumnIndex))
Dim val As String = Coll.Rows(RowIndex)(CInt(ColumnIndex))

Select Case True
Case IsDateColumn(col)
    Value_Read = CDate(val).ToString("d")
Case IsTimeColumn(col)
    Value_Read = CDate(val).ToString("T")
Case IsDateTimeColumn(col)
    Value_Read = CDate(val).ToString("G")
Case Else
    Value_Read = CStr(val)
End Select

Workflow:

18280.png
Code Stage Properties:

18281.png18282.png

18283.png
Testing Results:

18284.png
18285.png

Once tested do clear any initial values set and publish the action and save the VBO to use it from you process studio.

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Automation Consultant
Blueprism 6x Certified Professional
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com
----------------------------------
Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please provide a big thumbs up so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future.

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Technical Business Analyst,
WonderBotz India Pvt. Ltd.
Blue Prism Community MVP | Blue Prism 7x Certified Professional
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com

----------------------------------