cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SakshiSharma4
Level 3

Hi,

We are using BP version 6.10 in our organization and have thousands of processes automated. Due, to high number of processes we also have a lot of environment variables associated with respective processes. Since, the number of environment variables is really high  it becomes extremely difficult to update an existing environment variable if required. It would be great if we can have a search functionality for Environment Variables so that the developer can search a particular variable and update it.

4 Comments
PvD_SE
Level 12
Hi S,

If you're in System.Environment Variables and click on any environment variable, there's a link 'Find References' on the right side of the screen that will pop a window that shows you all processes and objects using the chosen environment variable.

If you're editing a process or object and click Edit and then Dependancies, you will get a window with all items used in the process, ordered by type. If you click on Environment Variables in the left side of the window, the list expands showing the environment variables used in the process or object that you have opened. Clicking any will show the actions in the process/object.
Note that I am on 6.5, but I assume this functionality has not been removed since.

With the above in mind, I hope you can clarify what enhancement you are looking to get via this Ideation request. 

One thing I can think of is to get the results of the above extracted to an XL or CSV file. especially if you have a huge amount of environment variables and processes using them, as you have. As it is now, you can only display the uses on the screen, export to XL would certainly make things easier if you have a project involving environment variables.

Happy coding!
Paul
Sweden
ChrisBrook
Level 4
I agree with this suggestion, in recent 6.x versions we've now got the ability to search for processes/ objects within Studio tab and Resources within the System tab (although the same search in control room would be useful!).

Within our organisation we have pages and pages of EVs and the ability to just quick search for a particular one would save a lot of time.
PvD_SE
Level 12
I almost agree with you.

The search capabilities for processes and objects are indeed quite an improvement. However, I once pushed for the idea to also be able to search for the content of a process or object, eg for a specific action that I know exists in some object but I do not know which object.

So, in my view, the search capabilities are half ready. As usual, I did not get enough votes for my idea.

Hi @Sakshi Sharma,

Thank you for taking the time to raise an idea.

This suggestion already exists in the community ideas portal so I've marked this idea as a Duplicate. The other idea has been marked as Planned - Now as we intend to provide this functionality in the upcoming Blue Prism 7.3 If you have any questions, please direct all further discussions around this topic there so it's easier for us to track and respond to. 

Regards,

Rob