cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essentially, users should be able to delete any useless and unreferenced data items/collections with a single click.

37221.png

This option can assist decrease the amount of code that is superfluous. 
In a large automation project, this could be a high-value component.
12 Comments
PvD_SE
Level 12
I'd like to give this one two of my votes if I only could!

Absolutely, such basic features can really save development time, also if same could be possible under application modeler for unreferenced elements.

sauvikchakrabor
Level 2

Could not agree more. Really would help in cut out extra unnecessary elements from object or process. They could also show right in the application modeler which elements are not being used, not with right click and all, direct some kind of symbol would also help, but SS&C should work on these little features which create a big impact on user experience. To check the error list and finding different pieces by going to different places is the only painful option we currently have. They can also add the option to delete unused elements of application model right in the error list. Would be of much help in consolidation. #UserExperience #ProductEnhancement

Hello @Tejaskumar_Darji,

Thanks for taking the time to raise an idea!

If the "Repair" action for this flagged design control rule in our validation console was the deletion of the unused data item(s), would that be seen as an acceptable change?

I'm going to update the status of this idea to Needs More Info while we await your response.

Regards,

Rob

Hello Robert, Yes, that works in the validation console as far as we have a one-click button. Also other users have given a good insight into whether we can do the same in App Modeler as well. This would definitely help developers.

Hi @Tejaskumar_Darji,

Thanks for confirming. I'm going to move this idea out of Needs More Info and back into New temporarily while I work on the teams to determine if we can include this enhancement in a future release and, if we do, which release it will be included in!

Regards,

Rob

Hi @Tejaskumar_Darji,

Speaking to the development teams about this, there have been concerns raised about a fairly common practice that might serve as an example of negative impact as a result of implementing this change.

A lot of our best practice templates have "Global Timeout" data items included in the Initialize page of business objects. These are intended to represent values that can be fed into wait stages and other actions to act as timeouts that can be easily changed in one place, rather than having separate data items spread out throughout the design.

Not all of these timeouts get used in every object, but they are often copied and pasted into new objects for best practice purposes. This means a lot of these timeout data items could throw a "not used" validation error, but they wouldn't necessarily be something that a developer would want to clean up when they select "Repair All" from the validation console.

What are your thoughts on this Tejaskumar? If anyone else monitoring this idea also has an opinion, I'd be interested in hearing from you as well. I'm going to move this idea into Needs More Info while I await input.

Regards,

Rob

I think we should strive to incorporate a comprehensive range of features and options. The decision to utilize them or not should be left to the user's discretion, but the availability of these features is crucial.

For the specific aspect mentioned, a pop-up should be implemented to allow users to choose the page name from which they wish to remove all unused data items. This approach ensures that all data items on the Initialize page remain unaffected.

Or may be it should remove all unused DTs except Initialize page by default

Hi @Tejaskumar_Darji,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I don't believe our current validation options give us the option to repair instances of an issue unless they're located on specific pages, but I'll feed this into the conversation on this enhancement idea and see what comes out of it.

I'm going to move the idea back into a New status while we consider it further.

Regards,

Rob