cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process takes longer

KeerthanaJ
Level 5
I have two process and two run time resource, each executes a process.

Process 1 scheduled to run every hour and allocated to one runtime resource- one which loads the item into the queue
Process 2 scheduled to run every hour and allocated to another runtime resource - it just get the next item and work

Let's say it starts at 8 and supposed to be finished before 8.30am. And at 8.30am Process 2 is scheduled to get and process the item from queue.So what if the load process takes longer than usual? 

What if process 1 didn't get completed and Process 2 already started executing, but there are no items in the queue, since there is some issue in the Process 1 and it couldn't add the items in the queue? How to handle such scenarios?

------------------------------
Keerthana J
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Hi Keerthana,

maybe I'm missing something about your question, but if you have two separate schedules, Process 2 will not do anything if the workqueue is empty and it might find some work to process when it runs one hour later (when hopefully the first process has completed). Because the second process runs on a different runtime resource, there shouldn't be any conflict. In case the second process (that "gets the next item and work") is supposed to run on both the runtime resources in parallel, you just want to make sure it has been designed for scalability, therefore can run on multiple machines in parallel. I hope this helps.

Luca Valente
Senior Product Consultant
Blue Prism
America/New_York

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi Keerthana,

If process 2 doesn't find any items in queue to work then it would ideally stop(assuming here that it follows standard process templates). If you are going to run Process 2 on only one runtime then you can very well have a single schedule with two tasks. First task(Process 1) will load items in the work queue and the second(Process 2) will execute the cases.

Shashank Kumar
DX Integrations Partner Consultant
Blue Prism
Singapore
+6581326707

LucaValente
Staff
Staff
Hi Keerthana,

there are several solutions based on the design of your process. 

One option is to add a new input parameter to the start stage of your process' Main page (i.e. "Initiation") that will be used in the process to execute or skip the email notification step. Then you can create two schedules, the first one sets the Initiation parameter =Y and runs the process only once at 8am  and the second schedule sets the Initiation parameter=N and runs the process from 9am to 4pm, every 1 hour.

Another option is to separate the email notification step in a separate process. Then the first schedule would run the email notification process followed by the general process only once at 8am, and the second schedule would run only the general process from 9am to 4pm, every 1 hour.

Regards,

Luca Valente
Blue Prism
America/New_York

Hi Luca, 

Thanks for the reply. I got it, what you are saying. But i need some clarification on a different question. I will copy the question here again. 
'
'
'
I have two process and two run time resource, each executes a process.

Process 1 scheduled to run every hour and allocated to one runtime resource- one which loads the item into the queue
Process 2 scheduled to run every hour and allocated to another runtime resource - it just get the next item and work

Let's say it starts at 8 and supposed to be finished before 8.30am. And at 8.30am Process 2 is scheduled to get and process the item from queue.So what if the load process takes longer than usual? 

What if process 1 didn't get completed and Process 2 already started executing, but there are no items in the queue, since there is some issue in the Process 1 and it couldn't add the items in the queue? How to handle such scenarios?

Keerthana J

Hi Keerthana,

maybe I'm missing something about your question, but if you have two separate schedules, Process 2 will not do anything if the workqueue is empty and it might find some work to process when it runs one hour later (when hopefully the first process has completed). Because the second process runs on a different runtime resource, there shouldn't be any conflict. In case the second process (that "gets the next item and work") is supposed to run on both the runtime resources in parallel, you just want to make sure it has been designed for scalability, therefore can run on multiple machines in parallel. I hope this helps.

Luca Valente
Blue Prism
America/New_York

Hi Luca,

Thanks for your quick response. Now i got the point. Have a good one!

Keerthana J